Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd AR. 14.5 FSB Carbine vs midlength

Feedback Score

2nd AR. 14.5 FSB Carbine vs midlength

I already have a 14.5 midlength BCM upper with a midwest industries SSK12 rail that I mated with a BCM lower. I have a built aero lower looking for an upper. I figured for the sake of variety, I should get something with a FSB.

In NJ, no flash hiders are allowed and all muzzle devices have to be pinned and welded no matter what the length of barrel, so 14.5 is really all that makes sense.

My question is, would you get a 14.5 carbine with a FSB as a second setup, a 14.5 midlength with FSB, or should I go the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" route and get another 14.5 midlength upper but with a better MLOK rail instead of the keymod one I have now.

Pic of current rifle setup:

Last edited by jec1521; 11-26-20 at 08:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I favor redundancy over variety in these times. Once that is satisfied, get whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’d go a second 14.5 with mlok personally.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    While not todays fashion, I prefer my front sight attached to the barrel, either carbine or rifle. Not a recommendation, just a preference.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    Some say Colt isn't what they used to be but I received a black Friday email from one company ( I can't remember who) that had them on sale.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod71337.aspx

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    14.5” carbine or mid is fine as long as they’re from a good manufacturer.

Colt is as good as they’ve always been. Still the standard.

Feedback Score
    If I go midlength, BCM has these in stock with FSB. One with a quad rail and one with a MCMR mlok. Is it worth it to get the mlok over quad rail for same price? Any negatives to these smaller 9 inch rails with a FSB where I would regret not having a longer rail?

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-stan...9-handguard-1/

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-stan...r-9-handguard/

Or I can get a carbine length, but they dont have LW barrel configuration so I am assuming a socom setup would be better than the govt profile

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-stan...r-7-handguard/
    Last edited by jec1521; 11-26-20 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would go with a 14.5 carbine FSB. It should eat any cheap ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    14.5” carbine or mid is fine as long as they’re from a good manufacturer.

Colt is as good as they’ve always been. Still the standard.
    Agreed, it's often splitting hairs in many of the threads about what barrel/BCG/handguard/gas system to get.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    While all my most recent builds are full length MLOK rails w/ a mid-length gas system, I still have a 16” with a mid-length FSB that has run like a friggin’ sewing machine and that I’ll likely never get rid of. I think everybody should have at least one rifle with an FSB on it. They’re sturdier than a BUIS, cheaper, and I like the classic look. So I’d vote 14.5” with FSB. You can still find an MLOK rail of the proper length to stop right at the FSB and still make use of MLOK with the benefits of free floating.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast