Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2nd AR. 14.5 FSB Carbine vs midlength

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That’s a good looking rifle!

I’m a big fan of LW rifles. I also despise the pointless govt barrel profile. You should get the 14.5 ELW w/ MCMR if you can swing it.

I have three 16” ELWs. If I had to pin and weld like you I’d definitely get the 14.5.

ETA - I don’t see them in stock at the moment.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 12-03-20 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1521 View Post
    Yes trying to keep it simple. Now have to figure out if I want to get another red dot or maybe an lpvo for my other 14.5 bcm mid.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    What's the furthest you typically shoot, and how much range time do you get? If it's not very far (sub-300 yards) and not very often (for me, that's less than twice a month) I'd probably go another Aimpoint. Just my .02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post

I’m a big fan of LW rifles. I also despise the pointless govt barrel profile. You should get the 14.5 ELW w/ MCMR if you can swing it.

I have three 16” ELWs. If I had to pin and weld like you I’d definitely get the 14.5.

Yea they must have gone quickly. I still wanted an FSB so no plans on exchanging what I just bought but the longer handguards are definitely nice. Maybe I will throw my other upper on the exchange to see what I can resell it for.

Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    What's the furthest you typically shoot, and how much range time do you get? If it's not very far (sub-300 yards) and not very often (for me, that's less than twice a month) I'd probably go another Aimpoint. Just my .02.
    Always less than 300 yards at the moment. I am still somewhat new at shooting (3 years) and have not been going to the range lately because of ammo prices. I plan on starting to do some training with some carbine classes if I can find good ones here in NJ.

I love my Aimpoint Pro but if I stay with another red dot I will either go Aimpoint T2 or Trijicon MRO if I want to save the money. The MRO would look and work well on the top of this FSB build, I think.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post

Just curious why you despise the govt profile barrels? Other than additional weight, what are the downsides?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    Just curious why you despise the govt profile barrels? Other than additional weight, what are the downsides?
    I wouldn't say I despise it but there are better setups. The profile is kind of stupid, it's heavy where it should be light and light where it should be heavy. Barrels that are thicker at the chamber end and taper toward the muzzle both place the meat where should be and shouldn't which aids in balance and handling characteristics.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1521 View Post
    Got my new upper in today. BCM LW Barrel with FSB and MCMR 9 inch rail. The Lightweight barrel really makes such a bigger difference than I anticipated when compared to my govt profile barrel on my other upper. Now I see BCM has a ELW Fluted upper with MCMR. Deciding if it is worth it to sell my other upper and replace it with a MCMR 13 LW upper form BCM. Either way, I love getting a package from BCM.

exclude duplicates
    Looks like you got that one dialed in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red the Monkey View Post
    Looks like you got that one dialed in.

yessir. Just need to grab a BCM BCG next time I see one on sale.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I wouldn't say I despise it but there are better setups. The profile is kind of stupid, it's heavy where it should be light and light where it should be heavy. Barrels that are thicker at the chamber end and taper toward the muzzle both place the meat where should be and shouldn't which aids in balance and handling characteristics.
    Yeah that’s all. It’s just a stupid profile for no reason. I don’t get why anyone even still makes them.

Feedback Score
    Something you might want to think about is if you use a free float use one that based off the standard barrel nut. I did this so I don't have any proprietary barrel nut that gets "stuck" on after the muzzle device is pinned. I used a Troy SOCC rail.

I am also curious as to what your muzzle device choice is.
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 12-05-20 at 14:42.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPenguin5145 View Post
    Something you might want to think about is if you use a free float use one that based off the standard barrel nut. I did this so I don't have any proprietary barrel nut that gets "stuck" on after the muzzle device is pinned. I used a Troy SOCC rail.

I am also curious as to what your muzzle device choice is.

I doesn't matter much with an FSB if using a one piece rail like the SOCC, you're stuck with that rail unless it is a two piece or you're cutting stuff off.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234