Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to ditch camo patterns? A question for the 50+ y.o.a. members

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Time to ditch camo patterns? A question for the 50+ y.o.a. members

For the 50+ year old members, a question.

But first, an inventory. From the old days I have:

2 x Woodland BDU shirts
    1 x Woodland BDU trousers
    1 x DCU shirt
    1 x UK DPM (old style) from a pal who served w/USAFE in the late 1990s

And ...

1 x Crye MC G3 Field trousers I got as comp (long story)

Question: is it time to say goodbye to camo?

I confess to a lifelong interest in .mil designs. The old BDUs I like because although they’re obsolete now, I earned mine, it’s a sort of generational marker. I never wore IBA so I quite like 4-pocket, as I stuff the lower pockets with cartridges for my bolt rifles. Cargo pockets on trousers, too. Great for extra AR mags.

What’s the issue, then?

Well, I am closer to 60 now than 50, and since there’s “no fool like an old fool,” I might look pathetic. I still wear the same size that I did in my mid-20s - Large Reg trousers, Large Long shirts - they still fit now like they fit then. Fitness is something I try and maintain.

Ok, so ..?

So ... I am seeing a lot of new gun owners floating around though chiefly at Ben Avery, looking kinda’ LARP-y with camo, black t-shirts, and so on. Just outta’ nowhere in the last few months. I’m concerned I’ll get lumped in with that scene.

Would a switch to solid colors be advisable? Just say goodbye to camo at my age?

Or continue to rock & roll as I have been?

Just trying to navigate the passing of the years without losing any dignity. Thanks for all feedback ...

Feedback Score
    Uhhhh why are you wearing camo in public anyway?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use it at the range sometimes.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Be the Grey Man and blend with your environment. That gives you a tactical edge. Try not to look like the guy that the bad guy should shoot first. For hunting, wear whatever you like. Modern materials and designs are great. Sitka, KUIU, Kryptek, will give you solid options but there’s nothing wrong with the old woodland bdu’s. Age is not relevant. You wear the clothes. They do not wear you.
    Last edited by FlyingHunter; 11-27-20 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't dress up for the range anyway. I'm not saying don't own anything camo related. If you have a plate carrier or some kind of loadbearing vest that happens to be in a camo pattern, and you use it as part of training, who cares? But for the most part, I figure just wearing jeans and t-shirt or sweatshirt to the range is best.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 11-27-20 at 16:09.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Be the Grey Man and blend with your environment. That gives you a tactical edge. Try not to look like the guy that the bad guy should shoot first. For hunting, wear whatever you like. Modern materials and designs are great. Sitka, KUIU, Kryptek, will give you solid options but there’s nothing wrong with the old woodland bdu’s. Age is not relevant. You wear the clothes. They do not wear you.
    Thanks much for the post. Range use for the pockets but forgot to mention I sometimes hike local mountains with them, too. I can layer under them easily and carry a good amount of stuff.

Feedback Score
    OK, you do you.

The only time I wear camo anymore is if I’m hunting. Otherwise it stays in the closet, I never wear my MARPAT anymore.

To be honest when I see someone who is clearly not in the military wearing military pattern camo I mentally note them as a LARPing/militia/tacti-cool/wannabe and avoid them. Especially if it’s at a shooting range.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    If I could still fit in my BDUs and DCUs I’d wear them all the time. Nothing more comfortable and useful once broken in and soft. Just maybe not the top and bottom together unless I’m out camping or hunting. Definitely not blousing boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Im 52 and the only camouflage I regularly wear is a desert gortex parka. Of course, the only time I wear that is when it's cold plus rainy and or windy and I don't want to get my nicer coats dirty.

The Southeast is the camo capital of the US, but it's normally hunting patterns, not military.

I don't blink an eye when I see someone wearing mil-type camo at the range or anywhere else.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-27-20 at 16:19.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    2 x Woodland BDU shirts
    1 x Woodland BDU trousers
    ........... The old BDUs I like because although they’re obsolete now, I earned mine, it’s a sort of generational marker....
    Heresy!
    God's Camo will NEVER be obsolete!

Also, you get style points for DPM/brushstroke type camos. Frankly I am just tired of everything multicam.... So overdone these days, so boring.
    Seriously though, from a non-50+ year -old perspective, there's unironically still quite the demand for modern gear in the the old M81[?] American Woodland BDU type camo, so... You're probably not sticking out at the range as much as you think right now... #tacticalaesthetic is very much a thing right now. Like, if you're sitting on any of the old straight 20rd Pmags, they are worth like $40-50+ each because aesthetic reasons. Don't ask, I have no idea why...
    But yeah, woodland is hot shit again, so congrats, you're a kool kid.

I mean, considering you don't sound like you've gone out of your way to deck out head to toe in MC like everyone these days, and are wearing it because you have it and like it than roll on. Half the country wears at least some piece of top or bottom camo something or other to the range so, whatever. Just offset the top or bottom with something else if you're really worried about it (ie, camo top with jeans/plain bottom, or camo pants with plain top, etc).
    I usually wear some sort of solid earthtone colors, since that's what I like anyway, so, yay, I guess that makes me tacticool or whatever, but if you play it right, with solids you can also fit in just fine with the "outdoorsy" REI/Whole Foods crowd. I also have a couple pairs of DCU pants and a Woodland field shirt, and I've worn them to events and not given a flying fornication what anyone might have thought.
    If someone is going to discount or deride me because of my clothing without regard to what my rounds are doing downrange, I really don't have time for them to exist within my sphere of awareness.

Now... if you're talking about LBE/ PC/chest rigs/ etc... get it in MC hands down.
    All my stuff is in solid colors (CB/RG) because I feel like a dweeb in MC, but to the detriment of my wallet, as MC gear is FAR more easy to re-sell than solids.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast