Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Time to ditch camo patterns? A question for the 50+ y.o.a. members

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Earth tone plaid shirt and light brown or olive khakis/dungarees and you can disappear in the woods. Its not as good as real camo, but you "gray man" in civilization too. Andy
    I continue to marvel at how elk...giant, brown, uncamoflaged...simply vanish into the trees.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    OP-If you're not wearing the absolute newest design of camo pattern on your underwear, you'll die in combat. #science

But jokes aside, I say you do you. What makes people look bad is when they are trying to be something they're not. You don't have that problem. (I try to grey man it, but anyone who has been in can probably tell my background. )

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I very much appreciate the multiplicity of viewpoints and all of the thoughtful replies - thanks very much, to each of you.

You Gentlemen are what makes M4carbine.net such a great place.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    Are they at least in camo?
    I have a pair that are brighter than Bronco Orange, but my EDW is a pair of darker blue ones. Wife HATES them, daughter is embarrassed; perfect.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I continue to marvel at how elk...giant, brown, uncamoflaged...simply vanish into the trees.
    Elk are actually quite camouflaged. Look at their coloration changed to make them look “flat”. Light fur in areas that get a lot of shadow, darker fur where it is exposed to more light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Semi related. I realize that i have stuff that I wear that is 30 years old. I know I have some swaters and sweathirts and shoes that old. That blackcable knit sweater was like catnip for coed girls in 1989...

I realize that me wearing that now is like my grandfather wearing that late 50s gear to the Christmas when I got the sweater... and a leasire suit still had 10-15 years to age to be equivalent...

I have and wear the Marquette Warriors baseball hat that I traded with my brother for a sony walkman. Sounded stupid at the time.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Elk are actually quite camouflaged. Look at their coloration changed to make them look “flat”. Light fur in areas that get a lot of shadow, darker fur where it is exposed to more light. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I stand corrected. Or perhaps, elaborated.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Elk are actually quite camouflaged. Look at their coloration changed to make them look “flat”. Light fur in areas that get a lot of shadow, darker fur where it is exposed to more light.
    I believe you are describing countershading but I don't see the classic pattern—a light belly—on elk. If there is literature on this I would like to read it.

Feedback Score
    Here is an article from RMEF:

“ELK NETWORK
    WHY ARE SOME ELK BLONDES & SOME BRUNETTES?
    CONSERVATION | JULY 13, 2018

Can a Cow Elk Have Antlers
    Elk have adapted to blend into an array of landscapes, from the cold Canadian prairies to the deserts of the American southwest. There can be a broad range of coloration even within a single herd. But according to North American Elk, California’s tule elk—living with the highest average temperatures in sparsely vegetated, sunbaked shrubland—tend to be lightest in color. Meanwhile, the coats of Roosevelt’s elk that skulk the shadowy rainforests of the Pacific Northwest can be almost chocolate. Rocky Mountain Elk fall somewhere in between.

Elk coloration also changes radically from season to season. In mid-summer they are a handsome reddish-almond and by the time bulls start bugling they are a striking tri-color with long black manes, honey-colored bodies and buff rumps. Come the depths of winter, they can be dirty blonde, beige, even a lemony white. Darker coats would absorb more solar energy, but would also stand out like beacons in wintry conditions.

Colors vary by gender and age as well. Bulls can often be distinguished from cows even after their antlers drop because they are significantly lighter. And the older they get, the paler they get. This could be a process similar to that of other aging animals like dogs, horses and bears whose hair color can change as a result of bleaching from the sun and a change in gene expression over time...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    When I obtained my DD-214 I happily went home and threw all of my uniforms away.
    I do have a camouflage hat and seven day bag I keep handy as a BOB. Between food, motor oil, mud and dirt, I get pretty camouflage everyday. I swear to you I bought a Gyro the other day and got more on my shirt than in my mouth.
    Having food and other stains on clothing is one of the advantages of wearing camo. 76 and wear camo pants, never shirts. I like the pockets and fit, I rarely ware jeans anymore, it either plain cargo pants or BDU pants in various patterns, my favorite is 3 color desert, you don't see much of it on the street. I buy used surplus when ever I can.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast