Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to ditch camo patterns? A question for the 50+ y.o.a. members

Feedback Score
    So basically, you’re worried about what people will think about you, but you didn’t for the last several years? Why change now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    So basically, you’re worried about what people will think about you, but you didn’t for the last several years? Why change now?
    Fair enough.

I don't give a whole lot of thought to what strangers think, but I value the constructive feedback of peers that I respect - folks such as yourself.

Sometimes it happens that as you grow older, changes have to be made. In my case it often turns out that I'm the last one to recognize it.

Thanks much for your post.
    Last edited by Buncheong; 11-27-20 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Fair enough.

I don't give a whole lot of thought to what strangers think, but I value the constructive feedback of peers that I respect - folks such as yourself.

Sometimes it happens that as you grow older, changes have to be made. In my case it often turns out that I'm the last one to recognize it.

Thanks much for your post.
    Sound wisdom, but I say unless it bothers you, keep on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    OK, you do you.

The only time I wear camo anymore is if I’m hunting. Otherwise it stays in the closet, I never wear my MARPAT anymore.

To be honest when I see someone who is clearly not in the military wearing military pattern camo I mentally note them as a LARPing/militia/tacti-cool/wannabe and avoid them. Especially if it’s at a shooting range.
    I have a bunch of camo, mostly Brit DPM, that I pretty much never wear. The exception to the rule being German Schneetarn snow camo smocks that I wear over my coat sometimes when I’m out in the woods in winter and Flecktarn Gore-Tex pants.

As a non-mil individual I feel like less of a poser somehow by making a conscious decision to only purchase and use camo patterns not used by the US military, such as the aforementioned DPM and Flecktarn.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I have a bunch of camo, mostly Brit DPM, that I pretty much never wear. The exception to the rule being German Schneetarn snow camo smocks that I wear over my coat sometimes when I’m out in the woods in winter and Flecktarn Gore-Tex pants.

As a non-mil individual I feel like less of a poser somehow by making a conscious decision to only purchase and use camo patterns not used by the US military, such as the aforementioned DPM and Flecktarn.
    Many, many owned multi cam long before the US military used it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post

If you’re out running around in the woods doing outdoor stuff I totally understand wearing surplus camo or hunting patterns or whatever. A lot of good outdoor activity outerwear to be had in camo patterns.

I just have an aversion to wearing it around town or any time I’m not actually using it as camo.

That said I’m lucky enough to have decent job and I can afford more than a few jackets etc. Some guys and gals can’t and need their hunting clothes to also be their around town out in public jacket or coat.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am close to 50.. Not mil. Not LEO

One of my plate carriers is Multicam the others just OD green...

I don't wear camo as everyday wear. I have a couple of OD green or tan hats but that is about it...If I see someone wearing Woodland camo... I'm thinking old school military like Gene Hackman in "The Package"

Feedback Score
    One of the nice things about getting older for me is that I truly don’t give a fook what people think of me when it comes to most things. Embrace it and do what the hell you want. You earned it.

Feedback Score
    I think obsessively not trying to look like a poser is nearly as bad as obsessively trying to look like a JSOC operator. Going out of our way to wear no-longer-issued patterns, or foreign patterns, just to show everybody that we're not like those pathetic neckbeard posers in Multicam over there is kind of elitist when you think about it. What if someone is wearing Multicam simply because they like the way it looks? What if, in the chance that civilians do end up in combat in a civil war, that they want something that will blend in multiple environments?

Of course, considering the fact that I've seen pictures of SF soldiers, JSOC operators, and SAC/SOG officers wearing mixed camo, or just a solid color plate carrier and civilian clothing...couldn't dressing in every day street clothes now be considered posing?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    For the 50+ year old members, a question.

But first, an inventory. From the old days I have:

2 x Woodland BDU shirts
    1 x Woodland BDU trousers
    1 x DCU shirt
    1 x UK DPM (old style) from a pal who served w/USAFE in the late 1990s

And ...

1 x Crye MC G3 Field trousers I got as comp (long story)

Question: is it time to say goodbye to camo?

I confess to a lifelong interest in .mil designs. The old BDUs I like because although they’re obsolete now, I earned mine, it’s a sort of generational marker. I never wore IBA so I quite like 4-pocket, as I stuff the lower pockets with cartridges for my bolt rifles. Cargo pockets on trousers, too. Great for extra AR mags.

What’s the issue, then?

Well, I am closer to 60 now than 50, and since there’s “no fool like an old fool,” I might look pathetic. I still wear the same size that I did in my mid-20s - Large Reg trousers, Large Long shirts - they still fit now like they fit then. Fitness is something I try and maintain.

Ok, so ..?

So ... I am seeing a lot of new gun owners floating around though chiefly at Ben Avery, looking kinda’ LARP-y with camo, black t-shirts, and so on. Just outta’ nowhere in the last few months. I’m concerned I’ll get lumped in with that scene.

Would a switch to solid colors be advisable? Just say goodbye to camo at my age?

Or continue to rock & roll as I have been?

Just trying to navigate the passing of the years without losing any dignity. Thanks for all feedback ...
    Rock the camo, dude. You're an OG. To hell with what people think.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast