Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting an AR into a guitar case: Hoping someone has done this before

Feedback Score

Fitting an AR into a guitar case: Hoping someone has done this before

OK, I'm scheduled to take a rifle class in a couple months. Due to time constraints I'm going to have to fly rather than drive which means buying my ammo onsite, and checking a rifle as baggage.

As a police officer I've flown often with sidearms in checked baggage, but this will be the first time with a rifle.

I bought a guitar-shaped case and am trying to figure out the most efficient arrangement. Everything I've seen says to keep 1 inch between equipment pieces. Since I'm going to count this for training hours, I have to take most of my duty belt plus soft armor plus rifle vest... which will take up most of my suitcase.

So, attached pics are the current arrangement. The current plan is to take advantage of the "depth" of the case by holding as much as possible vertical... the pistols and taser will be standing up in slots, for example.

In the spirit of "measure twice, cut once" I thought I'd put this out there for feedback.

Suggestions? Comments? Bitches/gripes/complaints?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    That's an interesting case. Removing the stock and grip will help with real estate but you might need to remove the upper from the lower to see if it gives you more room.

If the training facility is willing to accept a package, you could ship the magazines and other parts to them via FedEx or UPS since they take up a lot of space.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Is the training being hosted by another agency? If so reach out to the agency contact and see if your gear can be shipped to them and stored in their armory until you get there. If it’s a private training group/facility, 99% have active duty or reserve officers on staff that maybe able to help, like accepting an equipment package from you. The weapons I would definitely try to keep close by, ie checked bags, but the other stuff I would consider shipping early if possible. Then there is always checking in another bag. Not exactly high speed low drag cost efficient , but all your stuff gets there at one time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just break it down, fit whatever you plan on carrying in the case, perhaps a bit more protection around the glass and march on. Sure hope you're not thinking the shape of the case will deter theft.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you haven’t cut into the case yet, I used a bass guitar case and found I had all the room needed - for my use anyway.

Good luck on your course (hope you get to attend, due to Covid et al) and thank you for your service.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've done this;
    Go over to YouTube and take a look at what others have achieved.
    Essential stuff you'll need.
    Plasticote Paint. Seals up the open cell foam
    An electric carving knife. Makes larger cuts fast and accurate.
    A "Hot Knife". Makes tight cuts for small items
    Chalk for tracing outlines.

Feedback Score
    Nice looking case, what brand is it? Thought about doing the same as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    “If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow” Chuck Colson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    OK, I'm scheduled to take a rifle class in a couple months. Due to time constraints I'm going to have to fly rather than drive which means buying my ammo onsite, and checking a rifle as baggage. As a police officer I've flown often with sidearms in checked baggage, but this will be the first time with a rifle.
    Generally NBD depending on origin and destination. I've had no issues with long guns, follow the rules.

Others mentioned, but I'll echo- Depends again on where you're going, but consider shipping everything or at least excess items to yourself. Many training facilities do this routinely and can assist.

Since I'm going to count this for training hours, I have to take most of my duty belt plus soft armor plus rifle vest... which will take up most of my suitcase.
    What does your gear have to do with hours?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    What does your gear have to do with hours?
    Chief is big on “train as you fight”... so if I’m taking a patrol rifle course, I have to train equipped the way the patrol rifle will be used. Can’t say I disagree. Shooting a rifle prone in street clothes is much different than in duty belt, soft armor and rifle vest.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Chief is big on “train as you fight”... so if I’m taking a patrol rifle course, I have to train equipped the way the patrol rifle will be used. Can’t say I disagree. Shooting a rifle prone in street clothes is much different than in duty belt, soft armor and rifle vest.
    I figured it was something like that. Glad you have that kind of support from your boss.

The flip side, if you have the option to travel easier... The whole "train as you fight" thing gets way overplayed, and often ends up being more shtick than substance. Part of taking a course is capturing technique and method, learning what to practice, and bringing it home. Running your gun slick vs jocked up isn't fundamentally different if your underlying foundation is good.

What class are you taking?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast