Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M4 Buffer

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    What kind of improvements are you anticipating?

Who made the gun/barrel? Tell us a little more about it.

By the way, welcome and M4s have 14.5" barrels.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

The OP is not in the US. So he can have really cool toys.

Feedback Score
    Hi Andy, the barrel say 5.56 NATO. 1:7

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    H2 buffer for sure. I don't mess with non-Colt/spec buffer springs.

The H2 is a good starting point before you even look at gas issues.
    Whats the colt spec on buffer springs?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Whats the colt spec on buffer springs?
    I don't know the technical specs, but they're SS. Even though I live in the desert, I still don't mess with those CS springs. I just grab Colt springs from Brownells.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't know the technical specs, but they're SS. Even though I live in the desert, I still don't mess with those CS springs. I just grab Colt springs from Brownells.
    I used to like / prefer those as well until I tried a few JP springs...

Have plenty of new Colt springs now that will never be used by me unless I run out of JP springs AND they go under and I cant get more. (neither likely to happen)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I used to like / prefer those as well until I tried a few JP springs...

Have plenty of new Colt springs now that will never be used by me unless I run out of JP springs AND they go under and I cant get more. (neither likely to happen)
    Do you mean the JP Silent Captured replacement buffer system, or do you mean a spring that works with carbine or A5 buffers?
    Last edited by Disciple; 11-28-20 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Butcher View Post
    Hi Andy, the barrel say 5.56 NATO. 1:7
    I run H2 buffers in my carbine gassed 11.3" and 14.5" guns. They are reliable using mild .223 to full power 5.56.

If you are shooting .223 ammunition, your H1 buffer really should be good to go.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Thanks Andy, what difference would I see between a H1 & H2. Again 12 inch barrel .223
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Butcher View Post
    Thanks Andy, what difference would I see between a H1 & H2. Again 12 inch barrel .223
    Thanks
    This is opinion based on my observations and understanding of theory - I'm not a subject matter expert.

Observed - increasing the reciprocating mass by using a heavier buffer smoothes the recoil cycle. The sights/optic move slightly less in relationship to the target in recoil. Recoil is spread over a longer period and "feels" softer.

Theory - the heavier buffer allows the bolt to remain locked longer after firing, reducing cyclic rate/bolt carrier velocity and resulting in better reliability and less parts wear/breakage. The heavier buffer also assists in chambering subsequent rounds purely through mass and the "dead blow" effect of the moveable buffer weights. The lower carrier velocity allows more time for the magazine to move the next round into position for feeding.

You are running a quality AR and firing .223, not the higher pressure 5.56 ammunution. I would expect an H2 buffer would make your recoil feel a little smoother, reduce parts wear (not significantly), and increase reliability (also not significantly).

I would also say that the money for the H2 buffer would be better spent on magazines or ammunition. You said your AR is "Mil Spec by Colt 12.5 Barrel SOCOM Model". You bought a quality gun and it simply does not need any changes like heavy buffers etc.

Again, the opinion of a recreational shooter, not SME.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-29-20 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

I would also say that the money for the H2 buffer would be better spent on magazines or ammunition. You said your AR is "Mil Spec by Colt 12.5 Barrel SOCOM Model". You bought a quality gun and it simply does not need any changes like heavy buffers etc.

Again, the opinion of a recreational shooter, not SME.

Andy
    This. Unless of course the weapon has an Auto/Burst option, in which case an H2 buffer should be used (and probably would have come with the gun). In semi, I’m not convinced H1 vs H2 is worth thinking about or spending money on, unless funds are flowing freely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast