Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you don't see much any more.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Stuff you don't see much any more.

Anyone else recall seeing coffee drank from a saucer instead of a cup?

https://www.wideopeneats.com/drinkin...from-a-saucer/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Anyone else recall seeing coffee drank from a saucer instead of a cup?

https://www.wideopeneats.com/drinkin...from-a-saucer/
    Yes, and men tapping their cigarette ashes into the rolled up cuffs on their overalls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Speaking of coffee..the old percolators with the glass bubble on top.
    And, those old, dangerous as hell pressure cookers, that had the little valve on top that rocked back & forth.
    About 25 Thanksgivings or so ago, I was in a home when one we had in the kitchen exploded..
    Thank God no one was in that kitchen. I could sit here for hours & try to describe to noise, damage & mess it created and yall still wouldnt get an accurate picture.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Sugar cubes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Sugar cubes.
    I keep some in my office and in an altoids tin for hiking. A bit hard to find though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    And, those old, dangerous as hell pressure cookers, that had the little valve on top that rocked back & forth.
    About 25 Thanksgivings or so ago, I was in a home when one we had in the kitchen exploded..
    Thank God no one was in that kitchen. I could sit here for hours & try to describe to noise, damage & mess it created and yall still wouldnt get an accurate picture.
    Don't see those percolators much any more.

My wife and several people I know do canning. One buddy even canned most of a deer which i may try this year, especially if I get another.

I remember the danger as a kid. Usually canning was done at my grandparents(maybe great grandparents too...although that may have been making kraut only) and it was a general stay out in the yard and nowhere near the house warning.

I can imagine how bad, steam can cause some damage. I recall a fair in Ohio in the late 90's that had old steam powered tractors and one exploded causing deaths and injuries. Only seen a couple of those sitting as derelict decorations near a farmhouse entrance and they look like something out of a sci-fi horror movie now, can only imagine the perception when first built and operating.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-28-20 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I could sit here for hours & try to describe to noise, damage & mess it created and yall still wouldnt get an accurate picture.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have, and still use both of those things. I'm just in my early 50's. Never had an issue with a pressure cooker and we can with ours every year. Once the rocker starts, easy off on the throttle. We have a propane range, so I imagine an electric range might not be as safe??

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Automobile stuff.....

- vent windows

- “three on the tree”

- dimmer switches and window washer levers on the floor

- full size spares:):):) - one reason I love my truck, though it’s a PITA to get to!!!!!

- bumper jacks for most cars (off-roaders still use em:)

- distributors, points and carburetors under the hood

- fuel pumps NOT in the gas tank (and the associated “vapor lock”)

- REAL keys that don’t cost $400+ and can be copied at Ace Hardware!

- swapping an engine in a day:)

YMMV

geezer john (born & raised in Detroit City:)
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have, and still use both of those things. I'm just in my early 50's. Never had an issue with a pressure cooker and we can with ours every year. Once the rocker starts, easy off on the throttle. We have a propane range, so I imagine an electric range might not be as safe??
    I would say the safety setup failed. My wife, mom, mother in law, and grandmothers have all been electric.

One great grandmother had 2 stoves and would have done it on propane on one....can't recall what the 2nd stove was back in those days, but I was usually there on Sundays or go back in to town days so I missed out on her set up.

The other great grandma(the one I can recall kraut being made) had a wood burning cook stove still in use till the early 80s, but I can't recall if the 2nd stove was gas or electric.

I can't recall if the kraut was done in barrels or ceramic crocks now. That was my first intro to raw cabbage which I have never liked the odor of and delayed my trying sauerkraut which I later learned was great on brats and dogs.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-29-20 at 07:39.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast