Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you don't see much any more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Stuff you don't see much any more.

Anyone else recall seeing coffee drank from a saucer instead of a cup?

https://www.wideopeneats.com/drinkin...from-a-saucer/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Anyone else recall seeing coffee drank from a saucer instead of a cup?

https://www.wideopeneats.com/drinkin...from-a-saucer/
    Yes, and men tapping their cigarette ashes into the rolled up cuffs on their overalls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Speaking of coffee..the old percolators with the glass bubble on top.
    And, those old, dangerous as hell pressure cookers, that had the little valve on top that rocked back & forth.
    About 25 Thanksgivings or so ago, I was in a home when one we had in the kitchen exploded..
    Thank God no one was in that kitchen. I could sit here for hours & try to describe to noise, damage & mess it created and yall still wouldnt get an accurate picture.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Sugar cubes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Sugar cubes.
    I keep some in my office and in an altoids tin for hiking. A bit hard to find though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Speaking of coffee..the old percolators with the glass bubble on top.
    And, those old, dangerous as hell pressure cookers, that had the little valve on top that rocked back & forth.
    About 25 Thanksgivings or so ago, I was in a home when one we had in the kitchen exploded..
    Thank God no one was in that kitchen. I could sit here for hours & try to describe to noise, damage & mess it created and yall still wouldnt get an accurate picture.
    Don't see those percolators much any more.

My wife and several people I know do canning. One buddy even canned most of a deer which i may try this year, especially if I get another.

I remember the danger as a kid. Usually canning was done at my grandparents(maybe great grandparents too...although that may have been making kraut only) and it was a general stay out in the yard and nowhere near the house warning.

I can imagine how bad, steam can cause some damage. I recall a fair in Ohio in the late 90's that had old steam powered tractors and one exploded causing deaths and injuries. Only seen a couple of those sitting as derelict decorations near a farmhouse entrance and they look like something out of a sci-fi horror movie now, can only imagine the perception when first built and operating.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-28-20 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    Yes, and men tapping their cigarette ashes into the rolled up cuffs on their overalls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Seen several smokers wearing overalls, but haven't seen that one.

Have owned 2 milsurp woodland camo goretex parkas where the inside of one sleeve liner was melted in several places from the previous owners keeping their cigarettes out of the weather.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-28-20 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I could sit here for hours & try to describe to noise, damage & mess it created and yall still wouldnt get an accurate picture.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Don't see those percolators much any more.
    I have a small aluminum and larger stainless perc coffee pots. They are great for travel, camping or power outages combined with a Coleman stove.

The trick is to heat the water to boiling before you put the filter basket and tube in, then turn the flame down until it's barely perking.

Or maybe the trick is to use a french press.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-28-20 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have a small aluminum and larger stainless perc coffee pots. They are great for travel, camping or power outages combined with a Coleman stove.

The trick is to heat the water to boiling before you put the filter basket and tube in, then turn the flame down until it's barely perking.

Or maybe the trick is to use a french press.

Andy
    Or at least good ones which a family or 2 in our scout unit do have.

I did try a Wal-Mart one(don't think it had the glass knob) that was useless. Hard boil for an hour and it barely stained the water.
    Ended up with a tea pot(wide base is efficient on a Coleman stove), 2 qt stainless vacuum bottle, and coffee filter packs.

Mine is pure function, but the percolator and French press do add a lot to the experience my set up lacks.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast