Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you don't see much any more.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Speaking of coffee..the old percolators with the glass bubble on top.
    And, those old, dangerous as hell pressure cookers, that had the little valve on top that rocked back & forth.
    About 25 Thanksgivings or so ago, I was in a home when one we had in the kitchen exploded..
    Thank God no one was in that kitchen. I could sit here for hours & try to describe to noise, damage & mess it created and yall still wouldnt get an accurate picture.
    I have, and still use both of those things. I'm just in my early 50's. Never had an issue with a pressure cooker and we can with ours every year. Once the rocker starts, easy off on the throttle. We have a propane range, so I imagine an electric range might not be as safe??

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Automobile stuff.....

- vent windows

- “three on the tree”

- dimmer switches and window washer levers on the floor

- full size spares:):):) - one reason I love my truck, though it’s a PITA to get to!!!!!

- bumper jacks for most cars (off-roaders still use em:)

- distributors, points and carburetors under the hood

- fuel pumps NOT in the gas tank (and the associated “vapor lock”)

- REAL keys that don’t cost $400+ and can be copied at Ace Hardware!

- swapping an engine in a day:)

YMMV

geezer john (born & raised in Detroit City:)
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have, and still use both of those things. I'm just in my early 50's. Never had an issue with a pressure cooker and we can with ours every year. Once the rocker starts, easy off on the throttle. We have a propane range, so I imagine an electric range might not be as safe??
    I would say the safety setup failed. My wife, mom, mother in law, and grandmothers have all been electric.

One great grandmother had 2 stoves and would have done it on propane on one....can't recall what the 2nd stove was back in those days, but I was usually there on Sundays or go back in to town days so I missed out on her set up.

The other great grandma(the one I can recall kraut being made) had a wood burning cook stove still in use till the early 80s, but I can't recall if the 2nd stove was gas or electric.

I can't recall if the kraut was done in barrels or ceramic crocks now. That was my first intro to raw cabbage which I have never liked the odor of and delayed my trying sauerkraut which I later learned was great on brats and dogs.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-29-20 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The recent video of the lady not able to get her vehicle pulled up at the gas pump with the tank and hose on the same side made me think of cars with the fill port under the trap door license plate.

My first time fueling one of the boxy Jeep Cherokees was an office vehicle. Hopped out and no finger grab on the flap. Crawled all over the floor board, under the dash, glove box, anywhere I had ever seen a release of any kind in a vehicle. No owners manual in it either. Finally thought it might open like a cabinet and while pressing on it rocked it open.

I was down to the difficult decision of calling in for help or prying it open with Jack tools at that point. LoL

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My dad had a 49 (?) Cadillac and you flipped one of the taillights to the side to reach the gas cap.

I worked in a full service gas station (don't see those much anymore either) through high school in the early '80s and had to ask where the gas fill was more than once.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Speaking of coffee..the old percolators with the glass bubble on top.
    And, those old, dangerous as hell pressure cookers, that had the little valve on top that rocked back & forth.
    About 25 Thanksgivings or so ago, I was in a home when one we had in the kitchen exploded..
    Thank God no one was in that kitchen. I could sit here for hours & try to describe to noise, damage & mess it created and yall still wouldnt get an accurate picture.
    I'm still using an old Pyrex glass percolator, I used it to make my coffee this morning. But I like old stuff. I still have a working CRT TV, a couple of VCR machines, and a bunch of VCR tapes, got a couple record players and a bunch of records too that I bought before it became cool with the hipster movement. I'm daily driving an '89 vehicle too. Did I mention that I like old stuff?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Ammo for sale!

At a HARDWARE store.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Ammo for sale!

At a HARDWARE store.
    One of my favorite discoveries when I moved down here to the “lower Alabama” part of Florida was finding shotgun shells and hunting calibers for sale at the bait shops. Nothing like shooting a hog and catching a redfish on the same outing.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Courtesy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Ammo for sale!

At a HARDWARE store.
    I have one less than 10 minutes from me that started in the late 1960's and has been one of my favorite places to go since I was a child. There are 2 others about an hour drive each from me also. One has opened in the last 5 to 10 years, the other was 1980's if not older.

I think the last time I saw ammo in a country store or gas station(without involving me dropping loose ammo after a range trip while digging for change) was about 1995.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast