Thread: NVG 5.56 Hole Question

Feedback Score

NVG 5.56 Hole Question

I've been seeing a "new to civilian" trend and that's taking a 5.56 brass and stamping out the daylight hole in the daylight covers making it the diameter of the 5.56. I understand that this helps with autofocusing, "poor mans" Matblock Tarsier basically.

My question is if this small change in diameter will have a higher chance of causing permanent damage to the NVG tubes when exposed to stronger lighting conditions or if the change is so small that it is still enough protection when going in and out of dark and light areas in a CQB environment.

Thoughts?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    I've been seeing a "new to civilian" trend and that's taking a 5.56 brass and stamping out the daylight hole in the daylight covers making it the diameter of the 5.56. I understand that this helps with autofocusing, "poor mans" Matblock Tarsier basically.

My question is if this small change in diameter will have a higher chance of causing permanent damage to the NVG tubes when exposed to stronger lighting conditions or if the change is so small that it is still enough protection when going in and out of dark and light areas in a CQB environment.

Thoughts?
    I've wondered that as well.

I have a set of caps I drilled, but I still have my daylight covers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    WHY? What device are you running that you simply cant change the focus on as quick as trying to put a cap on without giving up both light and detail?

Feedback Score
    Well the school of thought is that you keep these 5.56 caps on your nods while you are clearing a buildings. You would keep your nods down while you look “under them” but when it comes to darker places in the building it’s a matter of tilting your head/ eyes up and look into your NVG into the dark areas and be able to see up close and distance. GBR group has a brief YouTube vid about this. And the Nods I have on order are DTNVS’s.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Before I comment I would like to watch the video, could you help with GBR group (whoever they are) or post a link please

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Before I comment I would like to watch the video, could you help with GBR group (whoever they are) or post a link please
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=xYTemLepwFA
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You’re increasing the amount of light that can enter the tube by increasing the diameter of the hole. So yes, you will have an increased risk of damaging your tube, but I would not be concerned with interior lighting damaging your tube. Tubes can handle high light environments because they have bright source protection that reduces the voltage to the photocathode and reduces the amount of electrons produced that enter the micro channel plate. I would be more concerned with high intensity lights or lasers entering the tube which is bound to happen if you are doing CQB or force on force training.

Feedback Score
    That’s the link. Thanks El CID. Thanks for the info La. I actually plan on getting to two sets of covers. That way I can keep a set stock and the other to mess around with this “hack”. How often I would do it. Well they wouldn’t be used that often honestly. I have a kill house to run drills in with live fire that I would use them with. But force on force I would take your suggestion and put the “stock” daylight caps on.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    These types of filters drastically cut back on image brightness when indoors. So much so, that you'll likely need to use an IR light to even simply navigate indoors.

They work well for their intended role; to be able to focus on both instrument panels and distance while driving under blackout.

If you're doing UTM force on force, you should invest in sacrificial lenses and keep them in your range bag. Rubber/plastic caps will not survive a head-on impact from a UTM.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely agreed on the sacrificial lenses for force on force! And yea I’ve seen several vids on how much light they restrict and it makes sense why.
    Last edited by Doc. Holiday; 11-29-20 at 13:18.