Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Ammo: How Old is Too Old?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    WWI-era ammo - stored properly - still works. MIGHT be corrosive, though.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Without a doubt I consider pre 1945 ammo corrosive until proven otherwise.
    No big deal
    5 minute cleaning job

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Had a bunch of 1942 dated New Zealand .303 that we called click boom. Fresh out of the old sealed can. You could count the hang fire and the fire and sparks were amazing.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    just got a nice stash out of an estate, handloads should be treated as suspect. but that being said all the revolver ammo goes pop so far

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I recently shot some Canadian SS109 marked 95. Shot just fine. Unless the ammo was stored in some really bad conditions, it should be gtg.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have WRA 1960 7.62x51 it shoots 100%•
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I bought some WWI vintage .45 ACP ammunition at a gun show 5 years ago. Most of it was badly tarnished. It fired just fine. I am still firing 1956 Yugoslavian 8mm surplus ammunition.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Factory ammo (cased, smokeless powder) that looks okay, shoot it! Regardless of age.

But try not to bet your life on 60 year old ammo.

Unknown reloads made this morning or any time before? Not worth the risk.

Badly stored ammo (how about an attic in FL?) can be ruined in less than 10 years. My example was a buddy who stored .223 in his attic. Cracked cases, bullets not secure, about one out of three rounds.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-01-21 at 11:35.

Feedback Score
    I was given some WW2 vintage Lake City .45 ball ammo that a friend found after his father died. It wasn’t pretty but they all fired just fine...

Feedback Score
    Heck when I was deployed to Iraq in 08 the 50cal ammo we was shooting was from end of WW2 for the M2 machine guns. I'm not worrying about any ammo post 1970s other than corrosive (factory) now any Billy Bob's reloads or reloaded by anyone else not something I'll test. I was still shooting 22LR from the late 80s and early 90s during the last ammo crunch. I've probably still have some left. The m1 carbine ammo I have is from the 80s.
    NRA Life Member.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast