Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Park some of this arty on the Dumbwalts

Feedback Score

Park some of this arty on the Dumbwalts

https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...ve_651682.html

First, there is the Extended Range Cannon Artillery (ERCA). The new cannon is based on the M109A7 Paladin Self-Propelled Howitzer, itself a substantial upgrade of this system. With a longer barrel and new breach, the ERCA will be able to fire advanced precision-guided shells up to 70 kilometers and even up to 100 kilometers, more than twice the range of existing artillery systems
    Hopefully cheaper than a cruise missile...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Same reason I believe in the naval concept of the dreadnought. Shelling is cheaper than launching rockets, and it is just as precise, plus more ordnance may possibly be carried in stores. Do not get me wrong. Submarines are very important, and the carriers, but a true honest to God gun platform is capable of so much, and with today’s capabilities. It is worth so much more, and I know my statements regard naval force projection.

Still it also applies to the army and their artillery capabilities. I think people forget about the importance of it versus all the smart bombs and airplanes, missiles, and the other shinny technology stuff. Sadly some may even look upon it as near obsolete 19th century technology. I believe Napoleon still has a very good point regarding artillery.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    Zumwalts just need to be scrapped and any naval officers still in the service who were involved in pushing them need to be cashiered out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Zumwalts just need to be scrapped and any naval officers still in the service who were involved in pushing them need to be cashiered out.
    No argument from me.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    The Des Moines class heavy cruisers had Nine of the 8 inch self-loading Mark 16 guns, that could fire 10 rounds a minute. 355# shells, over 30,000 pounds on target per minute, out to almost 30,000 yards. Over 12 tons per minute of HE.

And 12 5 inch guns putting 15-20 rounds per minute out for another 4 tons per minute.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_8-55_mk16.php

For reference, Iowa’s 9 guns at two rounds a minute with super heavy AP shells put 48000 pounds of shells per minute on target, and just 34000 pounds of regular ammo.

That Drachenfeld YouTube channel leads to many rabbit holes...
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 12-02-20 at 18:47.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Yes it does.

Ultimately against peer or near peer opponents most surface ships are simply targets for submarines, and if we want to use them for shore bombardment they’re easy close targets for all manner of anti-ship missiles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I read somewhere they were toying with the idea of bringing back the Battleship and equipping it with a bunch of the Strategic Long-Range Cannons (SLRC's).

Hmmm....a bunch of +1500km range cannons on a mobile platform that can carry with it a crapload of ammo? Damn it man.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I read somewhere they were toying with the idea of bringing back the Battleship and equipping it with a bunch of the Strategic Long-Range Cannons (SLRC's).

Hmmm....a bunch of +1500km range cannons on a mobile platform that can carry with it a crapload of ammo? Damn it man.
    Don't toy with me.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Don't toy with me.
    LOL...it would save a lot of bomb sorties.

Also, depending on how accurate it is, any team, almost anywhere could have devastating cover fire support. No refueling required.

Feedback Score
    The Montana class finally get hull numbers, albeit redesigned and 80 years late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast