Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disassembling reloads?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Disassembling reloads?

I'm getting rid of all of my larger caliber handguns I can no longer shoot due to arthritis in both hands. That leaves me with several ammo cans of reloads in 45acp and 44mag. All are well within safety range of pressure and would be okay for anyone to shoot, but disposing of them through sales brings legal problems.

I don't want the legal liability of selling the reloads as "ammo", but hate the thought of hours of work using my impact bullet puller to disassemble the cartridges so I can sell the components. Do single stage press bullet pullers work well with SWC lead loads and shorter jacketed pistol bullets like Gold Dots?
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You must find a way to get the ammo into somebody's hands to shoot. Pulling it down is crazy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You must find a way to get the ammo into somebody's hands to shoot. Pulling it down is crazy.
    That would be my preference, too. The "legal niceties" have to be observed until they're irrelevant, though. If things go sideways I'm sure I can find someone who needs them as-is. I suppose the wise thing is to sit on them until matters are resolved.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am with markm, find someone that trusts you and vice versa. People buy reloaded ammo at estate sales(not me unless I knew the person) all the time and since you didn't load it for selling there really shouldn't be an issue. Even pull down, the person buying has to trust you that the powder you claim is in the container is really the powder in the container.

If you decide to pull down, press mounted pullers usually leave marks. Impact pullers can damage exposed lead if something isn't in place to cushion the landing.

Currently, these look like a handy set up for lots of pulling if the durability is there.

Last edited by jsbhike; 12-01-20 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    Did you happen to label or take note of how you loaded them? A potential buyer would probably feel more at ease knowing what load data you used in that particular load. If you use a certain load data like bullet make, weight, powder and charge used, primers that were used.... this gives someone the chance to at least look up your reload recipe and determine for themselves if they want to take them off your hands. It in no way judges your honesty and diligence in what you wrote down as data though.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpddoug162 View Post
    Did you happen to label or take note of how you loaded them? A potential buyer would probably feel more at ease knowing what load data you used in that particular load. If you use a certain load data like bullet make, weight, powder and charge used, primers that were used.... this gives someone the chance to at least look up your reload recipe and determine for themselves if they want to take them off your hands. It in no way judges your honesty and diligence in what you wrote down as data though.
    Yes, all labeled with bullet brand/type/weight, powder ID and charge weight, brand/type primer.

Feedback Score
    Just out of curiosity, what’s your 45 load and what are you shooting it through?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I loaded 230gr Gold Dots or XTPs using ball equiv charges (all loads straight from the manufacturers loading manual) of BE, Titegroup, or other appropriate powder. Also, lots of coated or plain lead 230gr RN or TC practice ammo using ball loads.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    but disposing of them through sales brings legal problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    That would be my preference, too. The "legal niceties" have to be observed until they're irrelevant, though.
    What problems and niceties?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    What problems and niceties?
    It's all fun an games until whoever you sold your reloads to hurts themselves, blames the ammo, and hits you with a lawsuit...

A few years back I had a similar problem. I had a box of random ammo I'd collected over the years...Other peoples shitty reloads I got along with trades, old corroded surplus 308 and 06, random loose rounds, etc. I considered demiling, to recover comps, but in the end, I just dumped it off at one of the periodic household hazardous waste collections they have around here. Guy didn't bat an eye. Said they'd give it to the Sheriff's Dept EOD people for "disposal"

I'm not saying Bruce in WV should do that, though...My stuff was junk. But I do believe his concerns re selling/gifting the reloads are valid.
    Last edited by kerplode; 12-01-20 at 12:27.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast