Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disassembling reloads?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    It's all fun an games until whoever you sold your reloads to hurts themselves, blames the ammo, and hits you with a lawsuit...

A few years back I had a similar problem. I had a box of random ammo I'd collected over the years...Other peoples shitty reloads I got along with trades, old corroded surplus 308 and 06, random loose rounds, etc. I considered demiling, to recover comps, but in the end, I just dumped it off at one of the periodic household hazardous waste collections they have around here. Guy didn't bat an eye. Said they'd give it to the Sheriff's Dept EOD people for "disposal"

I'm not saying Bruce in WV should do that, though...My stuff was junk. But I do believe his concerns re selling/gifting the reloads are valid.
    There is the FFL/ tax collection end of it too.

The mutual trust thing is a multi layered must. I trust the reloads of my buddies and they trust mine and either direction we know a 150gr .308 loaded with 45gr of Bullseye isn't going to happen.

Some people will pick up obvious (and unknown) hand loads at the range and fire them or buy reloads from estate sales, both of which give me the willys. I have bought a fair amount of pull down powder from vendors, but pre-owned off an individual I would stick to known and trusted too since I can't think of too many brands of powder that are easily confirmed as being unopened.

Primers are less of a concern with the good practice of starting with start loads being as sure as anything on fending off issues.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    My son has said he wants the 44 mag ammo if I throw in the Marlin 1894! I'm considering it, so disposing of the the 44mag ammo appears to be solved.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    My son has said he wants the 44 mag ammo if I throw in the Marlin 1894! I'm considering it, so disposing of the the 44mag ammo appears to be solved.
    Glad he is in to it, that sounds like a very good deal!

Feedback Score
    There is the possibility of selling the ammo to a reloader who is willing to put the time in to disassemble them for the right price. I would buy them, pull the bullets, dump the powder & reload them with my own powder. Basically, (as an example) I'd be buying your rounds as components & "reload" them to my specs.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Good points.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 12-01-20 at 15:29.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just sell 'em or trade 'em. Nothin' wrong with that, I've done it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12