Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a log splitter...recommendations?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Thinking about getting a log splitter...recommendations?

I've seen the offerings from Home Depot, Lowe's, and Tractor Supply ranging from $650-1200. I've never owned one. I live on a farm and routinely run a chainsaw (Stihl MS 261 for you gear heads). As time is money, I usually get firewood from a local guy who fills my pickup truck for $55. We've had some some storms lately and it occurs to me I'm not being a good steward of God's resources when a big oak gets knocked over on my farm and it just lays there. I've got a JD tractor with front end loader that lifts around 2400# for assistance. So M4C team - what do you recommend I look for?
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Get one that has a B&S or Honda motor. If something were to happen they are the easiest to work on/replace.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    I had one that mounted on my 3 point hitch and ran off of my tractor hydraulics...eliminates a second motor to maintain.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Someone likely makes one that runs off your tractors PTO.
    That would be my choice.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have been nerding out over log splitters and wood handling equipment here lately. YouTube some videos. There are some interesting setups in Germany and Eastern Europe. The hydraulic splinters seem really slow. I found a video of a kinetic splitter and they seem a lot quicker. https://youtu.be/tC8_ylCeaVg

The tractor pto driven ones seem like a great option, if you already have a tractor or other mobile power unit.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 11-29-20 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Biggest thing about a kinetic splitter is COST. Most "weekend maintenance" folks tend not to buy them because they tend to be far more pricy up front than hydraulic.

However...

Cost is offset over the live of the machine because you aren't doing regular maintenance on hydraulic lines, repairing and replacing as necessary and whatnot. They are faster than hydraulic ones, but that's really a big deal if you're dealing in volume as opposed to weekend maintenance so to speak.

One thing you'll read about is most people with hydraulic splitters tend to say there's nothing they won't eventually go through.

It kind of comes down to how much you want to spend, how much you're splitting every year and how quickly you want to do it. If you're only doing like a cord or two a year, the hydraulic might be the best way to go even though it's slow. If wood heat is one of the primary heat sources in your dwelling, maybe the kinetic is the way to go.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Haven't tried the PTO type but all the hydraulic ones are going to be slow. Nature of the beast. I bought my tractor mounted one from Northern Hydraulics, this was in the 90s when in GA. At my MT ranch, I was the log splitter as we really had no hardwood.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    http://www.supersplit.com/

Awesome machine for pine. I used an older version with a Honda motor. Bulletproof. FASt as you aren’t waiting for the cylinder to retract. Takes about three people to keep up with it. It’s okay for hardwood, but not awesome. You just have to shave off sections of a big hardwood chunk, not just plow through the center. I don’t know if the “HD” version of this machine would fix that. But they aren’t cheap.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I've been using a kinetic for 6 years now, around 12-14 cord a year. Mine is one made by DR. Its been mostly flawless, few minor upkeep items but overall solid.

If I were to buy one today I'd go Supersplit as linked above - they're incredible machines.

Another advantage to kinetic is they SIP fuel compared to hydraulic. And they'll split anything a hydraulic will, sometimes on real gnarly pieces I'll need to let the ram back so the flywheels can spool back up then hit it again. That takes all of 2 seconds.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    IMG_2594_hq.JPG

Sorry, only pic on my phone right now. This was a few years ago now, it looks a lot more used now but still running strong.
    Last edited by Blstr88; 11-29-20 at 19:33.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast