Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffer tube question and SOTAR Larue Upper review

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Buffer tube question and SOTAR Larue Upper review

So I watched SOTARs video on the Larue Upper kit and he was concerned about the Buffer Tube and Castle Nut, being a Level 1 grade, on the example he got.

If this is the case, should I just get a Vltor buffer tube and FCD castle nut? I was also looking at the BCM A5 kit as well.

Rifle will be set up for range shooting under 300 yds for the most part...caliber 5.56

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Not sure what Level 1 grade means? I am sure larue i using 7075 for the buffer tube. TDP calls for rolled threads i believe

The Vltor or BCM A5 kit (or any a5 system) is a good idea in almost any ar15 IMO. FCD makes great stuff and high quality. Nothing wrong with a quality RE kit from BCM, SOLGW, or Sionics either

All that being said i have NEVER heard of a Larue Ultimate Upper kit Buffer tube or any of the components having an issue

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Not sure what Level 1 grade means? I am sure larue i using 7075 for the buffer tube. TDP calls for rolled threads i believe

The Vltor or BCM A5 kit (or any a5 system) is a good idea in almost any ar15 IMO. FCD makes great stuff and high quality. Nothing wrong with a quality RE kit from BCM, SOLGW, or Sionics either

All that being said i have NEVER heard of a Larue Ultimate Upper kit Buffer tube or any of the components having an issue
    He talks about the threads on the buffer tube extension and castle nut... there are 3 levels, Mil Spec is 2, Level 3 is better. The issue wasn't the material but the threads on both parts...It was an interesting video..

I already went ahead and ordered the 2 parts from FCD, I didn't order an A5 system.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    So I watched SOTARs video on the Larue Upper kit and he was concerned about the Buffer Tube and Castle Nut, being a Level 1 grade, on the example he got.
    Can you post a link to this video?

Thanks.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tBbnBTSui0k

Here you go..skip to the 10:45 mark which talks about the buffer tube and castle nut...
    Last edited by pag23; 12-02-20 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    CNFs have been made on Swiss machines since late 2019, each CNF has its threads checked with a class 3 gauge.

These days we make upward of 2.5K CNFs a month, they're still individually gauged, and will continue to be verified this way. In 2019 Chad told me some of the CNFs didn't pass gauging, they still worked but I was duly concerned. I think the percentage of these that didn't pass was small, but we nevertheless started to look at other ways to make them. Being we make everything in small batches, we were able to quickly make changes (not to the design, but manufacturing methods).

We credit Chad Albrecht of SOTAR for the improvements we subsequently made on CNFs
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-07-20 at 13:44.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    CNFs have been made on Swiss machines since late 2019, each CNF has its threads checked with a class 3 gauge.

These days we make upward of 2.5K CNFs a month, they're still individually gauged, and will continue to be verified this way. In 2019 Chad told me some of the CNFs didn't pass gauging, they still worked but I was duly concerned. I think the percentage of these that didn't pass was small, but we nevertheless started to look at other ways to make them. Being we make everything in small batches, we were able to quickly make changes (not to the design, but manufacturing methods).

We credit Chad Albrecht of SOTAR for the improvements we subsequently made on CNFs
    Got my order today! Very impressed so far and I can't wait to install it when the other parts come along..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    Got my order today! Very impressed so far and I can't wait to install it when the other parts come along..
    Cant go wrong with FCD. I have never been disappointed with their stuff. Function over form and you know they are using the best materials possible

Feedback Score
    My video is an example of one.

Using class 1 threads can allow the castle nut to loosen even if staked.

Milspec is class 2 or better.

FCD castle nuts are now Class 3 and a vltor tube will likely be class 2 or better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    My video is an example of one.

Using class 1 threads can allow the castle nut to loosen even if staked.

Milspec is class 2 or better.

FCD castle nuts are now Class 3 and a vltor tube will likely be class 2 or better.
    Pretty sure the lower and nut are supposed to be 3B not 2. Tube I believe is a 2A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast