Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBR Accuracy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My BA 11.5" will do 1.5" at 100yds with 62gr hpbt or 55gr hornady fmj and TAC powder. That is with my reloads. I have never shot ANY commercial ammo in the last 20 years. That is my absolute max I will allow any of my rifles. Same ammo in my bolt guns shoot a .75"-1" groups.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Depending on the brand of M193 I am using, with my LE6933 I can hold roughly 2-2.5”. With MK262 and an LPVO I will hold 1.5-2”. Distance is 100 yards off a bench/bag for support.

PPU M193 is a more accurate round in the rifles I use, IMI and Federal M193 are meh at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
    I've owned an 11.5" since 2014, and between shooting steel targets and taking courses, I have never sat down, put the rifle on a rest, and put together a group on paper until recently. I printed 3" groups at 50m, which I thought was acceptable, but just wanted to drop in and ask if I should expect more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    3” at 50 yds from a bench sounds like either an eyesight or technique problem (no offense intended). To me that’s not very accurate, but if it’s only a home defense rifle that’s well within minute-of-man. My DD 10.3” will do about half that with decent ammo (62 BTHP handloads), but I’ve never put a LPVO on it and truly accuracy tested it. My dad’s 12.5” BCM is about the same (both setups have a red dot).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I got a 10.5 that will shoot Red Army 223 into groups on steel @ 220 yards that I can cover with my fist .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've owned an 11.5" since 2014, and between shooting steel targets and taking courses, I have never sat down, put the rifle on a rest, and put together a group on paper until recently. I printed 3" groups at 50m, which I thought was acceptable, but just wanted to drop in and ask if I should expect more.

Well whether it was acceptable or not would depend upon what ammo you used, what sights you used, and and how well you can hold it still in rest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just depends on what you expect from yourself. Some may find it fine if especially considering it that would be the maximum range at which you'd expect to engage a target. I would want more; especially benched and supported. My pistols range from 8.5" - 11.5". All 5.56 and one 300 blk. Prism scopes, red dots, 2 hard sights only All zeroed at 50m with a rest. Not a whole bunch of effort to group quarter-size (25 cent piece). I personally feel the primary contributor to the decent accuracy is the assorted trigger upgrades. I'm a pretty decent shot but a really good trigger can make a big difference.

Same deal with my carbines. I have one 20" scoped with a 4-12. It's zeroed at 100m. Mostly between a nickel and a quarter. All of these are with basic 55 or 62 grain ammunition. Primarily PMC X-TAC stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP, you should expect more out of the gun.

What kind of ammo, what rest/position?

Put some match grade ammo in, get into a good prone supported w/ sandbags, take your time, get in the bubble, apply those 4 fundamentals and see what it can do at 100.

It's probably just a case of you not being used to shooting it this way. Shortys can be a little jumpy, when you're going for groups.

I have a cheap as dirt BCA 11.5" 1/8 with 1,000 ends through it that'll do under 3 MOA with my hand loads, and hit a B8 every time at 200yd. With irons.

All about the ammo and applying the fundamentals, all things being equal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I were the OP I’d definitely try it at 100yds and compare. It’s not uncommon for me to shoot groups at 100 yds that are, relatively speaking, better than what I shoot at 50yds, particularly when I’m shooting with irons. Not sure why this occurs but it does. Maybe a case of “aim small, miss small”?

Feedback Score
    It could just be garbage ammo. I tested some “AR 5.56 INDEPENDENCE” 55gr ammo in MGL in one of my carbines. It shoots good 69-77gr stuff at ~1.25-1.5 MOA. Hornady 55gr grows to ~3 MOA. Not the best, but fine for its role. I only use 55gr for training anyway. The Independence ammo though, a whopping 7 MOA.
    Last edited by PappyM3; 12-06-20 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Buy or load some nice ammo and I bet it shoots better. It's hard to shoot just about any barrel with good ammo and do 6MOA.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast