Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR Accuracy

Feedback Score

SBR Accuracy

I've owned an 11.5" since 2014, and between shooting steel targets and taking courses, I have never sat down, put the rifle on a rest, and put together a group on paper until recently. I printed 3" groups at 50m, which I thought was acceptable, but just wanted to drop in and ask if I should expect more.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Barrel length does not affect accuracy, especially at 50m. Your groups are a smidge under 6 MOA, which most people would find unacceptable from an AR.

BUT there are many variables that can come into play. Optic/mount, rest, ammunition, ability, etc.

If the accuracy is acceptable to you, that is all that matters.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-02-20 at 00:11.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I refuse to own anything aside a pistol, shotgun, or sentimental piece, that will not hold 2moa.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    At 100 yds, off a rest with irons and XM193, all the different barrel lengths I own - 10.3”, 11.5, 14.5”, 16” and 20” all will shoot pretty much the same - all averaging between 2MOA and 4MOA, with the real limiting factor being my eyesight, which is not very good.

The few times I’ve tried my 11.5” with better ammo, it has turned out groups in the 1MOA range.

At longer ranges bullets fired out of a short barrel are going to exhibit more drop and be more susceptible to wind, so they might appear to exhibit less accuracy but it’s really due to the lower velocity of the projectile, not short barrels being inherently less accurate.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 12-02-20 at 06:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    EDIT: double post

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
    I've owned an 11.5" since 2014, and between shooting steel targets and taking courses, I have never sat down, put the rifle on a rest, and put together a group on paper until recently. I printed 3" groups at 50m, which I thought was acceptable, but just wanted to drop in and ask if I should expect more.
    Others already clarified the barrel length and accuracy thing so I’ll leave that alone. What was your setup though? 3” at 50 is not good, especially since the difference between 50 and 100 is often more than just double IME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Absolutely this.

What ammo?
    My three SBR length pistols (10.3"/11.5") all shoot 2 to 2.5 MOA with 77 gr. OTM.
    I would be completely dissatisfied with a 6 MOA shorty, I can do better at 100 yds. with most of my pistols/handguns.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting how different people approach their carbines. The very first thing I do is get a good 100 yard zero and accuracy baseline before anything else.

Almost any decent barrel will shoot 2 MOA or so, like gajin said, with good ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
    I've done the same with different rifles over the years, just went to check accuracy. These days I still do every once and a while, but experience has me check to ensure everything is clean and tight before I go.

In the past have shot 100 yard groups 1-2 MOA with irons then at one range session 4-5 MOA. Checked and cleaned everything to see what was wrong. One time rear BUIS was loose while another hanguard was loose. Not saying that's your issue, or you even have an issue, but worth a check before you go.

Feedback Score
    Is that with a dot, or irons? Maybe try with a magnified optic, but 6 inches at 100 yards is not acceptable to me.

I would try some decent ammo as well. Even plinking ammo should shoot better than that from most guns.

If you determine it is the barrel Black River tactical makes some nice 11.5 barrels. Sionics as well but their inventory is spotty right now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast