Thread: Colt King Cobra 38 special

Feedback Score

Colt King Cobra 38 special

I just saw an ad from a LGS selling this blued 4 inch Colt King Cobra in .38 special. I was under the impression that back then the King Cobra was a .357 Magnum. Any thoughts ?

Feedback Score
    That is interesting. I'm no snake gun expert, but the ones I have seen were marked .357. It's blued, so it's 86-92 I think. Odd.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    I thought it was special enough and I’m a sucker for Colt DA revolvers and blued guns, so I bought it last night in a 3 guns deal. Got it for an even $ 1000.- but couldn’t take it home, I need another license for it. Serial number indicates built in 1993 according to Colt website. I checked the chambers and they’re cut for .38 special, .357 won’t fit.

Feedback Score
    For that price I don't think you can go wrong. If it turns out that it is a rare oddball, snake gun collectors may be willing to pay a lot more for it. Either way it's a real nice .38!

Feedback Score

Colt King Cobra 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    For that price I don't think you can go wrong. If it turns out that it is a rare oddball, snake gun collectors may be willing to pay a lot more for it. Either way it's a real nice .38!
    I emailed Colt archives and got a very quick reply :

“These are unusual to see, as the overwhelming majority were sold to Mexico, where I believe there is a caliber restriction for anything over 38 (part of the reason 38 Super is popular there). I’m sure a number were probably sent to Europe as well. There were actually several thousand produced – approx.. 4,000.”

And a smart*** friend said “when you have enough Pythons, you buy a King Cobra”
    Last edited by OLIAR15; 12-03-20 at 14:02.

Feedback Score
    Well there you go. I knew Mexico prohibited civilians from having firearms in "military or law enforcement calibers". I didn't know companies would make special runs to satisfy such a small market (one government run gun store in the entire nation of Mexico).

I wonder if it's scarcity makes it more valuable or collectable?

Feedback Score
    I just love this model. I have a dream to buy this.

Feedback Score
    I'm no colt expert, but IIRC they would occasionally put out .38 special only versions of some of their .357. The King Cobra (like yours) and the Python come to mind. I don't know why they did it, but you occasionally see one pop up.