Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded Mags. How Long?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Brand, please.
    All of them. Now I can't claim to have used them all, but I've used the big 3, plus some other less common ones. They all do it. The reason they all do it is because they're all exactly the same throughout the area that goes up into the magwell, which is the area that is problematic. So from that perspective, all polymer mags are exactly the same.

The truth of the matter is that the AR is long overdue for a series of upgrades, and redesigning a magwell built around a polymer mag built from the ground up is probably top on that list.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    The only thing I've noticed with polymer mags is that if you leave them loaded for a long time, like months to a year, they will bulge, and the stack can kind of spread and jam up.
    As noted above I had a couple of FDE PMAG 30 loaded for 11 years and I did not observe any problems. I used the provided storage covers. How does this bulge manifest?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    As noted above I had a couple of FDE PMAG 30 loaded for 11 years and I did not observe any problems. I used the provided storage covers. How does this bulge manifest?
    I use storage covers if they're provided, but so far magpul is the only one I know of that has them.

As far as how it manifests, the mag body just kind of stretches out over time, allowing the cartridge stack to spread out a little bit, which causes it to bind up. This happens as a result of trying to load the mag on a closed bolt. And like I said, if it happens it's easily cured by slamming the mag on its butt.

It is worth noting though that you should take the time to lock the bolt back before seating a mag, and this will prevent malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The only thing I've noticed with polymer mags is that if you leave them loaded for a long time, like months to a year, they will bulge, and the stack can kind of spread and jam up. The only problem this has caused me is trying to load a mag on a closed bolt. If the mag has bulged and you try to slam it on home, it gets jammed up and won't seat because the stack shifts and binds up in there somehow. If that happens, all you have to do is slam the mag down on its butt and the rounds will right themselves.

Because of discovering that issue, I have switched to metal mags. I only use Okay Industries GI mags with the tan follower. They are hard to find, but they do come up from time to time as Colt branded mags (which are actually just rebranded Okay mags). The bulging issue combined with the possible feedlip issue has just really turned me off of polymer AR mags.
    Sorry, but I call BS. If this were an issue, than the ones I’ve had loaded for over 12 years would have almost certainly exhibited this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    Sorry, but I call BS. If this were an issue, than the ones I’ve had loaded for over 12 years would have almost certainly exhibited this.
    I mean it's not something you're going to really notice because nobody ever loads on a closed bolt. I'm not really sure how I first noticed it. Laziness I guess.

Feedback Score
    I mean it's not something you're going to really notice because nobody ever loads on a closed bolt. I'm not really sure how I first noticed it. Laziness I guess.
    Everybody that keeps a patrol rifle cruiser ready loads a mag onto a closed bolt.

That said, I find that my Colt LT6720R won't load a full PMAG onto a closed bolt. I have to use the old Vietnam trick of downloading to 28 rounds... but it has nothing to do with the magazine bulging.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Everybody that keeps a patrol rifle cruiser ready loads a mag onto a closed bolt.

That said, I find that my Colt LT6720R won't load a full PMAG onto a closed bolt. I have to use the old Vietnam trick of downloading to 28 rounds... but it has nothing to do with the magazine bulging.
    I always load 28 rounds. All the mags I've tested only had 28 rounds loaded.

So why are these people loading on a closed bolt? Why not keep the bolt locked back?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    So why are these people loading on a closed bolt? Why not keep the bolt locked back?
    Not at a square range, deciding to reload a partially used magazine with a full magazine when the opportunity presents itself, so the bolt is still forward with a round in the chamber...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always load 28 rounds. All the mags I've tested only had 28 rounds loaded.

"Patrol ready" is where you have the weapon on safe, bolt in battery on an empty chamber, with a magazine locked in the mag well. Storing the rifle in this condition is a very, very common LE policy. That's a lot of people who load on a closed bolt.
    Last edited by LMT Shooter; 12-05-20 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT Shooter View Post
    "Patrol ready" is where you have the weapon on safe, bolt in battery on an empty chamber, with a magazine locked in the mag well. Storing the rifle in this condition is a very, very common LE policy. That's a lot of people who load on a closed bolt.
    Okay but they're probably softly seating them, vs. jamming them up in there like you would under stress.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast