Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded Mags. How Long?

Feedback Score
    So why are these people loading on a closed bolt? Why not keep the bolt locked back?
    ...because that's the definition of cruiser ready.

You've never seen an AR bolt close when it's bumped on the ground?

In a cruiser, with loaded mag inserted and bolt open, you risk chambering a round every time you hit a bump.

Okay but they're probably softly seating them, vs. jamming them up in there like you would under stress.
    So you don't know WHY people do it, but now you're an expert on HOW they do it...

A piece of advice: never rely on the stress and excitement of a "for real" incident to HELP you accomplish something. Stress and adrenaline always make things harder, they never make something easier.

If you can't do it relaxed and stress free, you can't do it under fire.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-05-20 at 14:23.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    ...because that's the definition of cruiser ready.

You've never seen an AR bolt close when it's bumped on the ground?

In a cruiser, with loaded mag inserted and bolt open, you risk chambering a round every time you hit a bump.

So you don't know WHY people do it, but now you're an expert on HOW they do it...

A piece of advice: never rely on the stress and excitement of a "for real" incident to HELP you accomplish something. Stress and adrenaline always make things harder, they never make something easier.

If you can't do it relaxed and stress free, you can't do it under fire.
    I seem to have accidentally run over a sacred cow here...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No sacred cow, you just seem to be the only one of us who's had the problem.

All mags, rifle and pistol, are loaded all the time, except for a few designated and marked as training mags.

THOSE are the ones that get loaded/unloaded/shot through alot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I mean it's not something you're going to really notice because nobody ever loads on a closed bolt.
    I insert loaded magazines under closed bolts 10:1 over open bolts. Probably much more than that. Most owners will perform far more administrative handling tasks with their guns than shooting tasks.

There are magazines that when loaded with 30rds will seat under a closed bolt with relative ease when done deliberately. However, there aren't really any that I expect to do this across the brand/sku, and then across expected guns in the field, consistently. This includes ARCs, pmags, DDs, Lancers, and the many aluminums. Tolerances vary and stack. It's not an issue of quality, but compatibility.

Polymer mags wear, but I've not observed swelling issues as described. I have seen various fractures and wear as the companies played with their polymer formulations and people abused them, but swelling was not an issue.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I seem to have accidentally run over a sacred cow here...
    Nope, just talked about things you don't seem to have much personal experience with.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post

All mags, rifle and pistol, are loaded all the time, except for a few designated and marked as training mags.

THOSE are the ones that get loaded/unloaded/shot through alot.
    That doesn't surprise me. I'm just one of those people who notices things like that. I imagine it's happened to a lot of people and they probably just tapped the mag and reseated it and didn't give it a second thought. Me on the other hand, I always have to find out why. I loaded up a bunch of different polymer mags and left them sitting. Sure enough, after about a month of being loaded I was able to induce that same malfunction more often than not. I've now had them loaded for over a year now. Next time I check them I'll have to try and catch it on video.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's a major problem. The risk over metal mags is if you had a malfunction and cleared it, then went to insert the mag on a closed bolt and it wouldn't seat. I've never had a round fail to chamber or anything, and haven't had any problems seating the mags on an open bolt.

What's actually happening is if you seat the mag too quickly on an open bolt, it just puts too much pressure on the walls of the mag body, which bulges out, and that allows the cartridge stack to spread, which for some reason binds it up. Like I said, I'll try and get it on video.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    Sorry, but I call BS. If this were an issue, than the ones IÂ’ve had loaded for over 12 years would have almost certainly exhibited this.
    It was very much an issue. Magpul was replacing mags for customers a few years back(maybe more) for that issue. IÂ’m not sure if the Gen 3 mags still do it but ALL of my Gen 1/2/MOE mags do it. DoesnÂ’t matter if they are downloaded or not so I keep mine topped to 30.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    No. There was a pretty lengthy thread about it on this forum back in the day.

Oh and I keep my magazines (even polymer) loaded to full capacity all of the time. They do get cycled through every year or two though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    It was very much an issue. Magpul was replacing mags for customers a few years back(maybe more) for that issue. IÂ’m not sure if the Gen 3 mags still do it but ALL of my Gen 1/2/MOE mags do it. DoesnÂ’t matter if they are downloaded or not so I keep mine topped to 30.

No. There was a pretty lengthy thread about it on this forum back in the day.

Oh and I keep my magazines (even polymer) loaded to full capacity all of the time. They do get cycled through every year or two though.
    I have a bunch of Magpul Gen2 unopened that I keep as spares, that being said, I keep my mags loaded at 28 rounds, this includes DH, Surefeed, Lancer and Magpul.... Some mags are 10yrs old some are 3 months old...Just personal preference

One of my Lancers is tight to close with 28 rounds on a closed bolt. If I slam it in, no issues. I tried 2 or 4 different mags same round count with no issue....that mag will go to range use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fully loaded... even the straight 20 round PMAG in the gun doesn’t have an issue when I remove it prior to practice. No so called bulge.

I keep two G2 PMAGs (all of mine are G2, except the few 40s I have in storage) with XM193 underneath the rear seat of my truck, just in case I ever needed another 60 rounds. Those are the only two magazines that get those dust covers put on them... because they are the only ones not protected from the environment. In the gun, safe. In my plate carrier, bullets down, safe. Underneath my back seat, where my girlfriend’s 8 year old daughter eats McDonald’s and other messy s***... something is going to find its way into it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Is there a statement from Magpul about this?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast