Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded Mags. How Long?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Just my observation but PMAGs have an issue with the 2nd round from the top “walking up” towards the first round and making it very hard to seat. I haven’t seen this issue with my D&H mags which leads me to believe there is a difference in the geometry of the feedlots that allows this on the PMAGs. I actually find D&H to seat very easy, sometimes more so than PMAG’s.

I also load all my mags to 30...as they were designed to do.

I agree with a couple things stated above: loading on a closed bolt is far more common when taking administrative tasks into account. And there are likely tolerance stacking issues from one mag to another.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 12-06-20 at 11:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Just my observation but PMAGs have an issue with the 2nd round from the top “walking up” towards the first round and making it very hard to seat. I haven’t seen this issue with my D&H mags which leads me to believe there is a difference in the geometry of the feedlots that allows this on the PMAGs. I actually find D&H to seat very easy, sometimes more so than PMAG’s.

I also load all my mags to 30...as they were designed to do.

I agree with a couple things stated above: loading on a closed bolt is far more common when taking administrative tasks into account. And there are likely tolerance stacking issues from one mag to another.
    I’ve seen this with Gen 2 Pmags, Gen 3 doesn’t have that issue at least with my own experience YMMV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Is there a statement from Magpul about this?
    I believe Duane Liptak from Magpul addressed the issue in that old thread.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    I believe Duane Liptak from Magpul addressed the issue in that old thread.
    Thanks. Are you thinking of this or another?

Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Gents,
    The smart folks here say this was a small batch issue with some earlier MREVs, and was corrected as soon as it cropped up. Was an internal dimensioning and clearance issue. If anyone has PMAGs that do this, contact customer service, and they'll swap you out 1 for 1 with new PMAGs complete with that new PMAG smell.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    I’ve seen this with Gen 2 Pmags, Gen 3 doesn’t have that issue at least with my own experience YMMV
    I still have it happen with Gen 3's. Some mags seem to have it worse than others, probably going back to that tolerance stacking thing...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Thanks. Are you thinking of this or another?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...und+transposed

Feedback Score
    Not to stir the pot, but I seem to recall MAC having a couple of issues with PMAGs that had been stored loaded for a very long time, like multiple years.

I looked back though his channel briefly and didn't see the video, so this is just coming off my admittedly shoddy memory. I believe they were Gen 2 mags that had been stored loaded with no covers in place. It wasn't a spring issue but rather something at the top of the mag either weakened or cracked and was inducing malfunctions. I believe he stated no issues with and mags he had stored with the covers in place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    It was very much an issue. Magpul was replacing mags for customers a few years back(maybe more) for that issue. IÂ’m not sure if the Gen 3 mags still do it but ALL of my Gen 1/2/MOE mags do it. DoesnÂ’t matter if they are downloaded or not so I keep mine topped to 30.

No. There was a pretty lengthy thread about it on this forum back in the day.

Oh and I keep my magazines (even polymer) loaded to full capacity all of the time. They do get cycled through every year or two though.
    Good to know. I was starting to doubt my sanity there for a minute.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VolFF93 View Post
    Not to stir the pot, but I seem to recall MAC having a couple of issues with PMAGs that had been stored loaded for a very long time, like multiple years.

I looked back though his channel briefly and didn't see the video, so this is just coming off my admittedly shoddy memory. I believe they were Gen 2 mags that had been stored loaded with no covers in place. It wasn't a spring issue but rather something at the top of the mag either weakened or cracked and was inducing malfunctions. I believe he stated no issues with and mags he had stored with the covers in place.
    Thing is once you seat on a closed bolt, the bottom of the BCG pushes down on the rounds off the feedlips much like the covers do. Do it with a window pmag and you’ll see. I don’t know what MAC’s issue was.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolFF93 View Post

Not to stir the pot, but the covers are not needed for storage.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast