Thread: Lube: 9 and .22: ARs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lube: 9 and .22: ARs

Lube: 9 and .22: ARs

Back in the day read all the Pat Rogers articles and even got to take a 3 day Carbine class with him.
    The last few years I’ve been running .a 10 ½ inch Colt SBR in PCC in USPSA and a SW AR.22 in Steel Challenge.
    The topic of lubrication and pistol caliber has never come up.
    No problems, but, checking if the same approach to lubrication applies to 9s and 22s that works for 223/556.
    TIA
    jon

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Can't speak to .22 AR's, but lube schedule in my 9's, excluding non existent rotating bolt- is same as .5.56.
    Last edited by gaijin; 12-02-20 at 10:42.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I run them all wet and messy. Took a while to abandon my Marine Corps indoctrination to run guns on the dry side. If it is gonna see any substantial rate of fire I swab it down.

Works fine on the .22 and the 9. I tend to lighten up on the lube when running suppressed and supplement as I go, cuts down on the blackface look.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Colt AR6951. I lube generously with CLP or LP. The only difference is, it gets much dirtier than the Stoner action, because it is pure blowback.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Every 22 rimfire I lubed with Froglube locked up. One pistol locked up so tight I thought we broke it. My theory is that Froglube hardens when mixed with the lube from 22 ammo.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Correct Froglube application is a bit of a pain but it works well on .22s as you end up wiping away most of the lube leaving a dry-ish "treated" surface.

Although lately to save time during cleaning, I just use a couple drops of EWL spread with my finger. If I had to guess, it works about 75% of Froglube before my Tac Sol AR22 starts gumming up.

My more reliable .22 solution is to just shoot my 40yr old 10/22. It runs and runs with less cleaning and less lube pickiness . Just not quite as tacti-cool as my AR22!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

My more reliable .22 solution is to just shoot my 40yr old 10/22. It runs and runs with less cleaning and less lube pickiness . Just not quite as tacti-cool as my AR22!

Dennis.
    Not discounting your experience, but my AR22 is at least as reliable as my 10-22. The AR22 is also easier to clean.

I generously lube friction areas, but don't run 22s "wet".

Andy