Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Looking for a Weapon Light----Elzetta Bare Bones?

Feedback Score

Still Looking for a Weapon Light----Elzetta Bare Bones?

Shopping for a new light and came across the Elzetta Bare Bones light. This is a no frills, single mode light which works (according to Elzetta) to 190 meters, 9050 candela, 6 oz. 18650 rechargeable battery. I have the Elzetta light mount which is great so I am predisposed to this company. I love the simplicity and single mode of this light.

But, has anyone used one of these things? If so, what do you think?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Elzetta makes brutally tough lights that are very high quality. I’ve never used the Bones, but I have a Bravo and a Charlie. 190m is pushing it for a Bravo, IME. Interesting that the Bones takes a 18650.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't own a Bones, but I've got more than a few Bravo and Charlie (and one Alpha) models in my inventory. Most of them were bored by Oveready for 18mm cells, and they all work perfectly with the high/low and high/strobe tailcaps. You may be able to search the Internet to see if a Bones will also work with dual mode tailcaps. Some have the high output AVS heads, while others have Malkoff LED assemblies. A few years ago, I measured lux at 100 yards, and got a hair under 2 from a Charlie and exactly 1 lux from a Bravo. I don't recall if a Bones will output 900 lumens if fed by two 18350s, but if it does, then that's the only way for it to be usable at anything approaching 100 yards.

For the Harries method I use, I've found no better tailcap switch/boot design than the Elzetta. I carry an old bored ZFL-M60 (the model name before Bravo) with a limited production Malkoff M91BN almost every day of the week. It is an outstanding short range illumination tool.

Feedback Score
    Here is a link to the Elzetta Bare Bones

https://www.elzetta.com/product/bones/

They say it works to 190 meters so 200 yards. Does this mean I can ID a target at that distance? The simplicity and durability of this light is a big plus for me. This looks like as close as you can get to a KISS weapon light.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The 200 yard distance is most likely the distance at which .25 lux is delivered. .25 lux isn't nearly bright enough to positively ID a target. Two or even 3 is considered more reasonable for it to be considered usable light.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Found an old thread I posted about the Elzetta Bravo in:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-carbine-light
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I brought out some different lights tonight to the same location in my earlier post, and paced some stuff off to measure range. I also tried the lights in a few different locations near our station, and different directions. Conditions this time were clear, with a bit of light pollution. 2100. Distances I feel that I can reliably identify an overt threat:

Surefire G2x 100m

Elzetta Bravo with AVS lens 100m

Scout 600 with Malkoff Super Throw head ~150m

Scout 600 with Malkoff orange-peel reflector flood head 50m

All of this stuff is super relative. I can see a dude in a PT belt standing in the open like a click out. A guy in BDUs and face camo ducked off in the woodline trying not to be seen at 25m, not so much. The light that I’ve been effing with lately that most closely meets the OP’s requirement is the Scout with Super Throw head. Or get some PVS 15s and an aiming laser/illuminator.
    Based on the above, I would not consider the Bones a 200yd light, unless something significant has changed. The Bravo discussed above has the same distance rating according to Elzetta as the Bones.

You desire a Modlight OKW.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Found an old thread I posted about the Elzetta Bravo in:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-carbine-light

Based on the above, I would not consider the Bones a 200yd light, unless something significant has changed. The Bravo discussed above has the same distance rating according to Elzetta as the Bones.

You desire a Modlight OKW.
    I looked at this light on the internet.

https://modlite.com/products/modlite...20414940479547

At $309.00 it is a bit pricey. Do you own one of these?

Feedback Score
    If found your discussion which you mentioned. I'll try to copy and paste it.

Site Sponsor
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My goto rifle currently wears an Elzetta Bravo. This is a two cell LED light, and mine has a flood lens rated to 76 meters. Lumen rating is 650. There is a throw lens available rated at 190m. My partner (who is a credible user of weapons and lights, and well qualified to estimate range) and I just checked on the manufacturer claims. I did not tell him beforehand what distance the light is rated for, or anything about it. The conditions are overcast, 2130, and we just had a downpour with lingering mist. There is ambient light from our station, but not where we were pointing the lights. We are in an area we are familiar with, and have been here ~76hrs a week for two weeks in 24+hr stints, and intermittently prior to that. So we know this neck of the woods quite well.

We separately verified that we could see objects clearly enough to reliably determine an overt threat at 75m. I can pick out a human form that is not hiding at perhaps a little more than 100m. I could see some objects clearly enough to be able to hit them at 150, depending on target color.

I also have with me a Surefire G2X handheld rated at 600 lumens. Results were about the same at 75m, with a little less spill, and the throw seemed to fall off a slightly quicker past 75m. It seemed just as bright at 75m, so I don’t understand why it fell off a little sharper beyond that.

Just some points of reference. I’m not claiming these lights are the best for the OP’s requirements. But I might consider an Elzetta Bravo with clear lens, or perhaps a similar Malkoff equipped light, such as Arisaka offers. I went with the flood lens on my Bravo because I’m using it at fairly short ranges.

Separately, I have some thoughts on the Elzetta switches if you choose to buy one of their lights.
    RLTW
    “Yep, it's definite. I simply don't care enough what you think.” -SteyrAug

__________________________________________________________________________________

I have to say this is good work 1168. This is why I was asking about range. Dividing claims by 2 seems to be the formula. Elzetta fixes their circuitry in a resin or plastic which give the light unusual strength. Also, their lenses are acrylic, not just glass behind a reflector. I am hard on equipment. I can not even wear a wrist watch without breaking it. So the Elzetta does have a certain appeal to me. Also, it has a single mode so no fumbling around under stress for the right mode. I am going back to read the rest of that thread.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I looked at this light on the internet.

https://modlite.com/products/modlite...20414940479547

At $309.00 it is a bit pricey. Do you own one of these?
    I do. And if you’re looking for reach, its a great choice. The best that I own.

I’m not knocking the Elzetta. Just saying that 190m is a little optimistic. If you find 100yd PID to be adequate, then its a great light.

Elzetta is upping the lumens on the Bravo shortly, which will hopefully mean more candela.
    Last edited by 1168; 12-04-20 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Should help the decision. Bones:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast