Thread: How to kill a bear quickly?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IF you choose to arm yourself with a sidearm, read handgun, as bear defense you are making the decision to wear it 100% of the time while outside, I presume? Better make sure to become proficient with not only using it (shot placement, shooting under duress, etc... and with "bear loads" involving expensive ammo and heavy, sometimes punishing recoil) but wearing it. I mention this because unless you have a familiarity with wearing sidearms, especially heavy, steel large caliber revolvers, they can become uncomfortable rather quickly which in many cases causes the wearer to not carry his gun.

A long gun? You gonna keep it with you at all times outside? Wear it on a sling? That will become awkward and cumbersome at some point, no doubt. Again, become proficient with putting the gun into action very quickly from the slung position or the gun is only an ornament.

Bear mace might be a viable option for you. Seriously. Plenty of educational and training videos online on bear mace.

My folks live in bear country in northern Minnesota. They frequently have black bears in their yard. We had this same discussion not long ago. They are not "gun-people", will not even entertain a firearm for bear protection, nor being in their 80s would be able to handle a heavy recoiling handgun, mom most certainly not. I showed them the advantages and ease of carrying bear mace. Done deal, their comfort level being outdoors is higher now not only having discussed bear behavior and activity with a local wildlife officer, but having been shown one method of personal protection that is not related to firearms, which honestly are not for everyone.

A dog or dogs are a great help as well as family companion (s) as is awareness of your surrounding at all time while outdoors in bear country. Mandatory even.

All said and done, you said this particular bear is now dead. So, no worries about his learned behavior on being a threat again.
    Last edited by danasaki; 12-13-20 at 08:25.