Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to kill a bear quickly?

Feedback Score

How to kill a bear quickly?

Hello,

I 've bought 150 acres of land in Southern Vermont. As my wife and I were unloading the car a bear came out of the wood. It looked at us for a few seconds then started to trot toward us. The kids were playing on the second floor of an old original barn, which is the only building on the land. As soon as I saw that thing running toward us I locked the car and we both run into the barn. I closed the door and we joined the kids upstairs.
    From the window we saw that animal destroy the driver's door to get to the food that was in the car. As soon as he was done eating our food or the whole weekend it left. It took two hours. We no cell coverage I couldn't call anybody. I was furious that the camera was in the car. The animal was shot by a local a couple days later. 460 pounds.

I just can't deal with that. As of today I just don't feel secure there. I'm going to have a bunch of people helping me fix the barn, most of them students, and a few kids will be playing around.

I have inherited a 30-06 from my late father. I've shot that gun a lot at the range with him, but I never hunted or killed anything with it. Frankly, I'm not that knowledgeable about guns.

Is this the right gun to kill a bear?
    A few precision. I'm not going to try to hunt bears and shoot them from 200 yards. Unfortunately I have a grimmer scenario that could happen. There is only 50 yards from the edge of the wood to the barn. I need a weapon that can kill a bear that will come out of those woods and start walking/trotting, running towards us. Most likely a front shot.
    Is that savage 111 30-06 with a four bullet magazine the right gun to kill a bear before he can cover those 50 yards?
    If now, what should I get instead?
    A friend suggested a mossberg shotgun loaded with what he called brenekke?
    Help!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    An -06 will take down most any NA game.

I wouldn't rush out to kill the bear, I'd give the DNR a chance to relocate it first. Sounds like you've had a bunch of VT libtards feeding him for a while. Certainly not the bears fault.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-03-20 at 06:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    30-06 will do it. The Bernakke is a rifled slug.

Just keep on mind that bears are fast runners. Like 50 yards in 3 seconds fast. So use your head. Sometimes it's better to go hide in the barn

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Contact the local wildlife management people. If you are inexperienced with a firearm and scared to death when the bear appears it will likely end badly for all involved. You need to be a pretty steady shot and have the stones to stand in front of an advancing bear to take the kind of shot you describe.

The 30-06 will do the job if you are able to make a good shot. That will matter a whole lot more than what rifle/shotgun you have in your hands if it comes to that. Seek competent instruction on firearm safety, shooting skills and on when and when not to shoot at an animal like that. If bears are an issue in the area your neighbors can probably give you some information on how to deal with a bear and how not to.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Id invest in a handgun chambered in .44 mag or better, a good holster, speed loaders, and training with it. Carry it on you person while on the property because you might not be within arms reach of that rifle when a bear decides its hungry. Also, try to block the scent of any food and get some bear spray. Seek local training in how to deal with bears as well.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    My first thought was to feed it my ex-wife's cooking. That would indeed be a quick death.

But I would second the suggestion about contacting the local fish and game people about relocating the bear. It's way more humane than my ex's meatloaf, and it's what they get paid to do. When a bear gets comfortable around human's, they usually prefer to move the bear.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As others said, 30-06 will put a black / brown bear down, but it's not of much use if you don't have it on you. A revolver in .44 Mag as Scrubber3 suggests is something you could have on you at all times when walking around the property and such. I'd add, a good blast of bear rated pepper spray may send him packing without having to harm him, but I'd still have the gun on me. No doubt you can find that locally or online. Two, training is essential and hitting a bear - who can move far faster than people realize - is harder than it looks on TV, especially of he's coming toward you with intent. That's where the long gun has another advantage, but you have to be willing/able to carry all the time. The basic shotgun with slugs will do it for sure, no Bernakke needed. I'd also add to call animal control or similar and see what they have to say. Sounds like another human created problem the bear has to pay the price for.

When I lived out in the boonie of NH, I never went walking around the property, in the woods, etc without a means of defense.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    There are a few things to consider here. First, there is difference between killing a bear and stopping a bear's forward momentum. A .30-06 will certainly do the former but would not be my first choice for the latter. Especially under 50 yards which a bear can cover in seconds. Also consider that a frontal shot on a large bear means going through a lot of muscle and bone. This opens the question that has been debated here and elsewhere ad nauseum, i.e. "what's the best bear defense caliber?"

Secondly, no gun will work if you're not carrying it. Are you willing to carry a rifle with you everything you leave the house for the backyard? Most are not.

A good-quality 12 gauge shotgun with an 18" barrel is an effective and handy tool. Brenneke slugs would be ideal as they are designed for penetration but most any slug is at least adequate. A lever action .45-70 carbine is an excellent choice but requires more dedication in training. If I were forced to use the '06, I'd make sure it was loaded with premium controlled-expansion bullets of at least 180 grains.

Bear spray is an excellent deterrent for bears that aren't actively trying to eat you and is easy to carry and deploy. Keep in mind that a 460 pound black bear is enormous and most of them don't get to be that large. They are also not very aggressive by nature and rarely attack humans. When living in close proximity with people, they'll quickly realize that we are a good source of food (human food, that is). Especially if folks are feeding them, which is foolish but unfortunately common.

Feedback Score
    I would look for the most efficient weapon that I could fire accurately under EXTREME stress.

Long guns that make the most sense to me is a 45-70 lever action followed by a 12 ga with slugs.

Only one handgun makes my list a glock 21 converted to .460 Roland. Think of it as an easier to use .44mag with more rounds easier trigger pull. I would put either an RMR on it or XS big dot sights. XS came from the express rifles of big game Africa fame.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Let's not forget about .458 Socom and the like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast