Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to kill a bear quickly?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IF you choose to arm yourself with a sidearm, read handgun, as bear defense you are making the decision to wear it 100% of the time while outside, I presume? Better make sure to become proficient with not only using it (shot placement, shooting under duress, etc... and with "bear loads" involving expensive ammo and heavy, sometimes punishing recoil) but wearing it. I mention this because unless you have a familiarity with wearing sidearms, especially heavy, steel large caliber revolvers, they can become uncomfortable rather quickly which in many cases causes the wearer to not carry his gun.

A long gun? You gonna keep it with you at all times outside? Wear it on a sling? That will become awkward and cumbersome at some point, no doubt. Again, become proficient with putting the gun into action very quickly from the slung position or the gun is only an ornament.

Bear mace might be a viable option for you. Seriously. Plenty of educational and training videos online on bear mace.

My folks live in bear country in northern Minnesota. They frequently have black bears in their yard. We had this same discussion not long ago. They are not "gun-people", will not even entertain a firearm for bear protection, nor being in their 80s would be able to handle a heavy recoiling handgun, mom most certainly not. I showed them the advantages and ease of carrying bear mace. Done deal, their comfort level being outdoors is higher now not only having discussed bear behavior and activity with a local wildlife officer, but having been shown one method of personal protection that is not related to firearms, which honestly are not for everyone.

A dog or dogs are a great help as well as family companion (s) as is awareness of your surrounding at all time while outdoors in bear country. Mandatory even.

All said and done, you said this particular bear is now dead. So, no worries about his learned behavior on being a threat again.
    Last edited by danasaki; 12-13-20 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    As far as I understand, there should also be problems with the paperwork for weapons capable of killing a bear. An ordinary pistol will not do here, since a bear is a massive animal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    As far as I understand, there should also be problems with the paperwork for weapons capable of killing a bear. An ordinary pistol will not do here, since a bear is a massive animal.
    Why would there be "paperwork problems for weapons capable of killing a bear"?

What kind of paperwork?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Why would there be "paperwork problems for weapons capable of killing a bear"?

What kind of paperwork?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Someone just wants to rack up post count and didn't read the thread...Is a 10mm Glock an "ordinary" pistol?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Uncle returned from WWII, packed up his High School Sweetheart and during the drive, got married in the Salt Lake Temple and went on to Alaska.
    He brought some Pit Bulls, ammo and a half dozen 03'A3's. They did fine, the dogs would tie up the bears and Aunt Audrey would shoot them from the kitchen window. She recommended a side to side shot from below the ear, 30:06, will do just fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike213 View Post
    Hello,

I 've bought 150 acres of land in Southern Vermont. As my wife and I were unloading the car a bear came out of the wood. It looked at us for a few seconds then started to trot toward us. The kids were playing on the second floor of an old original barn, which is the only building on the land. As soon as I saw that thing running toward us I locked the car and we both run into the barn. I closed the door and we joined the kids upstairs.
    From the window we saw that animal destroy the driver's door to get to the food that was in the car. As soon as he was done eating our food or the whole weekend it left. It took two hours. We no cell coverage I couldn't call anybody. I was furious that the camera was in the car. The animal was shot by a local a couple days later. 460 pounds.

I just can't deal with that. As of today I just don't feel secure there. I'm going to have a bunch of people helping me fix the barn, most of them students, and a few kids will be playing around.

I have inherited a 30-06 from my late father. I've shot that gun a lot at the range with him, but I never hunted or killed anything with it. Frankly, I'm not that knowledgeable about guns.

Is this the right gun to kill a bear?
    A few precision. I'm not going to try to hunt bears and shoot them from 200 yards. Unfortunately I have a grimmer scenario that could happen. There is only 50 yards from the edge of the wood to the barn. I need a weapon that can kill a bear that will come out of those woods and start walking/trotting, running towards us. Most likely a front shot.
    Is that savage 111 30-06 with a four bullet magazine the right gun to kill a bear before he can cover those 50 yards?
    If now, what should I get instead?
    A friend suggested a mossberg shotgun loaded with what he called brenekke?

Help!
    30/06 or 308 win is plenty for any Black Bear on earth. A good 165gr/180gr bullet like the Nosler Partition. Aim at the shoulders and he will drop on the spot.
    The 12ga with Brennke original slugs is what we use as a camp Gun and for protection from Grizzly Bear while dressing moose out. Very effective with the Original slug 1 1/8 OZ.
    Last edited by RedTeam98; 04-12-22 at 07:23.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234