Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to kill a bear quickly?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Cool! I'd like to see such an animal some day. Seen black bears when I lived in NH, never seen a Grizz.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Cool! I'd like to see such an animal some day. Seen black bears when I lived in NH, never seen a Grizz.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Site is DPing today.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I saw this post and while not the best answer any would be better than nothing.........

Feedback Score
    What do you want in a 1911?
    I have only three 1911's :

Colt Model of 1911, WWI replica - Carbonia blued.

Remington / UMC Model of 1911 WWI replica - Mfg. by Turnbull.

Springfield Armory 1911 WWII G.I.

I like the 'Springer'. It shoots great and is everything I'll ever want in a 1911.
    No frills - mike
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The 30-06 will do just fine. Just make sure you practice a little bit with that gun to get a feel for it. Its going to have some recoil. A good gun to have around for most close encounters of any kind is a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. With slugs, it will drop a black bear in its tracks. Typically most women can run a 20 gauge with no problem.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Having run into multiple black bears myself, i agree with what the others have said that you should probably start by calling the local Fish and Game office to see if they can relocate the bear.

If you want a gun you can actually carry all the time, large caliber revolvers can be hard to shoot well, and only hold 5 rounds. I would suggest looking at a 10mm Glock 20 with 200gr hardcast bullets. I spend a lot of time in the Utah outdoors, and have come face to face with multiple bears, moose, and a few mountain lions, and I carry a 10mm Glock 20 with 200gr hardcast solid ammo from DoubleTap or Underwood. That will give you 16 rounds instead of 5, in a gun that is easier to shoot than a magnum caliber revolver. And a 10mm will easily do the job for black bear. A 30-06 will kill the bear, but a 10mm is much easier to carry.
    Spot on Glock 20SF is the answer for self protection from big game.
    SF

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Having run into multiple black bears myself, i agree with what the others have said that you should probably start by calling the local Fish and Game office to see if they can relocate the bear.

If you want a gun you can actually carry all the time, large caliber revolvers can be hard to shoot well, and only hold 5 rounds. I would suggest looking at a 10mm Glock 20 with 200gr hardcast bullets. I spend a lot of time in the Utah outdoors, and have come face to face with multiple bears, moose, and a few mountain lions, and I carry a 10mm Glock 20 with 200gr hardcast solid ammo from DoubleTap or Underwood. That will give you 16 rounds instead of 5, in a gun that is easier to shoot than a magnum caliber revolver. And a 10mm will easily do the job for black bear. A 30-06 will kill the bear, but a 10mm is much easier to carry.
    Only hold 5 rounds? He is not killing a squad of bears. If he is talking 50 yards closing at 3 seconds, he has 1-2 accurate shots no matter what hand gun capcy he may have. Dog would give him more time. 44- 500 wheel gun. He really only needs to practice accuracy for one shot and a follow up. Because that is all he will get. Better off running or practicing to put something between you and Yogi.

Feedback Score
    I don’t know much about bears, but I do know levels of protection is smart. Get a dog, purchase a quality bear spray to wear on your belt, and have a firearm handy. While no bear, I was charged by a vicious dog that looked like a small bear while biking. I cut the top off a plastic water bottle, and carry the spray in that, in the water bottle carrier so it’s quickly available. He came so fast that by the time I had the spray ready he was about ten feet away still coming full steam. When engulfed in the red cloud, he turned himself inside out trying to reverse direction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    The 30-06 will do just fine. Just make sure you practice a little bit with that gun to get a feel for it. Its going to have some recoil. A good gun to have around for most close encounters of any kind is a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. With slugs, it will drop a black bear in its tracks. Typically most women can run a 20 gauge with no problem.
    Accuracy has the last word, a slug gun or any gun for that matter will only drop a critter in its tracks with a CNS shot, brain or severing the spine. I have shot a ton of deer with bows, muzzle loaders, rifles and shot guns. I have jellied hearts on multiple deer with 3006, 270, 50 cal ML and slugs, all ran from 20- 150 yds. Only ones that drop in there tracks have had the spine severed.

Feedback Score
    Your 30-06 is just fine for bear protection. I live in Anchorage, AK. Bears in the yard are a common occurrence here. They are looking for food and have associated food with you. If you and your neighbors don't provide food they will move on. During the summer my garbage stays in the garage until garbage pick up day and is only put out about a half hour before pick up. When I hike I carry a 454 Casull and bear spray. Never had to use either one even though I've had 5 or 6 meetings with black bears. I've only seen brown bears while fishing and they have always been more interested in salmon than human. Please go to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website and search "bear safety". Lots of info there on how to deal with bears.

Consider what you would have done if you had your rifle when the bear was breaking into your car. Did the bear deserve to die because it was trying to get to the food you provided? You moved into its habitat not it into yours. Living in the country isn't like living in the city. Time to adapt and accommodate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast