Thread: 1936 Mauser Luger

Feedback Score

1936 Mauser Luger

Living in Switzerland, the Swiss Luger (Waffenfabrik Bern Parabellum) in 7.65 mm Parabellum (.30 Luger) is a common gun and many collectors and shooters own one or several. I have two, a (wrongly named) 06/24 and a 06/29. I shoot both on a regular basis and they’re both extremely accurate even at 50 meters

So I needed a German Luger in 9 mm to compare, see the original thing. I found this 1936 made Mauser at an LGS for $ 1550.-

All numbers match (and there are a lot) except the magazine, and it’s in nice condition

I went straight to the range since I left the LGS with three new guns to try out. It shoots left for me so I’ll have to (carefully) drift the front sight a bit.

Compared to the Swiss ones I have, the recoil is stouter as is the muzzle blast with the shorter barrel and the trigger pull is noticeably heavier.

Now off to the workshop for a good cleaning and oiling.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Lugers are very cool old guns. It is a handgun with SO MANY variants one virtually needs a “PHD in Luger” to keep track of them.

Your Mauser is a clean old example.
    I have a very similar S/42 from the same period; ‘36-‘38. Also have an example from WWl dated ‘16 or ‘17, but I forget the manufacturer.
    I have detail stripped both of mine. It was, admittedly, a bit nerve wracking to say the least- having never done it.

Nice photos on your posts, even though you have redundancy.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I’ve been reading through Vicker’s Guide Volume 1, German weapons of World War II recently. I’ve learned a lot about the Luger pistol, and appreciate you posting pics of yours. Very cool to see, and in great condition.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A few years ago I finally satisfied a life-long need to get to know the Luger better when a family member showed up with one and I was able to spend some time with it.

I did not use the word "need" without considering it carefully! I can still remember the feeling as a youngster of a rudimentary understanding taking shape of how they work. And realizing how complex they were, and how finely made. Lugers are something special.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What a couple of beauty's. I have a 1917 9mm I picked up 4 years ago and have yet to shoot it. I have maybe pulled it out of the safe a handful of times.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Erg mooie pistolen ! Some years back when I was shooting a lot of IDPA there was a guy who showed up regularly with a Luger. I think if one is going to be competitive with a Luger then IDPA must be the place.
    It wasn't the pistol that held him back....

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    A few years ago I finally satisfied a life-long need to get to know the Luger better when a family member showed up with one and I was able to spend some time with it.

I did not use the word "need" without considering it carefully! I can still remember the feeling as a youngster of a rudimentary understanding taking shape of how they work. And realizing how complex they were, and how finely made. Lugers are something special.
    Mine is still unfulfilled. Hope to own one someday, even if it doesn't become a permanent member of the collection.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…