Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 in 9mm...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

1911 in 9mm...

Looking for a decent 1911 in 9mm. Can anyone recommend a particular brand that wont make me raid my sons college fund. Looking for basic plinker maybe with a rail on the frame but not necessary.

Thanks,

Dave

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Entry-level 1911 will always be Springfield for me. Not that they’re 100% out of the box, but their customer service and warranty will make it better than new. The Range Officer series is priced reasonably and the “Operator” version has the rail.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    We have an entire sub-forum dedicated to 1911s with many threads about 1911s in 9mm. You might consider looking there.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yea, best bang for the buck, Springer Range Officer.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Colt .38 super that I recently got a Brown 9mm "drop in" barrel to convert to 9 x 19. After a little recoil spring experimentation it runs great. My answer is Colt but I've had Springfields that have been great once they returned from the mothership for warranty work. Their CS is second to none and it was no cost to me.

Feedback Score
    If you can track down a Springer Elite Operator in 9mm, that's hands down the best bang for your buck that you'll ever see.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I have a Colt .38 super that I recently got a Brown 9mm "drop in" barrel to convert to 9 x 19. After a little recoil spring experimentation it runs great. My answer is Colt but I've had Springfields that have been great once they returned from the mothership for warranty work. Their CS is second to none and it was no cost to me.
    I too have a Colt .38 Super that I love. When you change barrels to 9mm, can you use the same magazines ? With handloaded Hornady 125gr HAP's and Autocomp powder, it's one of my most accurate pistols. Do you handload for yours ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar15dave View Post
    Looking for a decent 1911 in 9mm. Can anyone recommend a particular brand that wont make me raid my sons college fund. Looking for basic plinker maybe with a rail on the frame but not necessary.

Thanks,

Dave
    IMG_2556.JPG

Springfield Armory 9mm Range Officer Operator, Class of 2016. I wasn't looking for it at the time but I got a great deal on it at a LGS not known for great deals.

It shoots better than I can hold most of the time, and once it was deburred (and a couple hundred rounds were put through it), it has been more fun than I deserve. I dislike the factory RO grips and prefer the look of double diamonds, so it got these no-nonsense, durable olive/black micartas from VZ; the grips are the only money I have put into the gun itself, so it has been relatively cheap fun
    Last edited by theorangecat; 02-13-21 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    'cat, an attaboy on the VZ grips; have a couple on Smith revolvers, and like them very much. They do want a little 'smoothing' on their aggressive grooving.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    'cat, an attaboy on the VZ grips; have a couple on Smith revolvers, and like them very much. They do want a little 'smoothing' on their aggressive grooving.
    Moon
    The checkering - and other texturing - does tend to be a tad crisp on the VZs. An all-steel 5" 9mm 1911 with these VZ grips does not move around in my hand very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast