Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911 in 9mm...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar15dave View Post
    Looking for a decent 1911 in 9mm. Can anyone recommend a particular brand that wont make me raid my sons college fund. Looking for basic plinker maybe with a rail on the frame but not necessary.

Thanks,

Dave
    IMG_2556.JPG

Springfield Armory 9mm Range Officer Operator, Class of 2016. I wasn't looking for it at the time but I got a great deal on it at a LGS not known for great deals.

It shoots better than I can hold most of the time, and once it was deburred (and a couple hundred rounds were put through it), it has been more fun than I deserve. I dislike the factory RO grips and prefer the look of double diamonds, so it got these no-nonsense, durable olive/black micartas from VZ; the grips are the only money I have put into the gun itself, so it has been relatively cheap fun
    Last edited by theorangecat; 02-13-21 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    'cat, an attaboy on the VZ grips; have a couple on Smith revolvers, and like them very much. They do want a little 'smoothing' on their aggressive grooving.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    'cat, an attaboy on the VZ grips; have a couple on Smith revolvers, and like them very much. They do want a little 'smoothing' on their aggressive grooving.
    Moon
    The checkering - and other texturing - does tend to be a tad crisp on the VZs. An all-steel 5" 9mm 1911 with these VZ grips does not move around in my hand very much.

Feedback Score
    'cat, not sure who made the grips on a Colt Competition, but they also keep the grips planted. There is a thin line between 'grippy' and 'cheese grater'....
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Not sure why another poster is trashing the Sig 1911's. I own one in 9mm. It has been 100% reliable and is very accurate. Trigger is good but not great and the backstrap has a cutout for a lanyard which takes a little getting used to, but otherwise really love the gun.

Don't have any personal experience with them, but people seem to love the Dan Wessons as well. Both of these guns are going to be north of $1,000 new, but I picked up my Sig in nearly new condition for under $1,000.

Feedback Score
    I'm not really a fan of Sig's pistols past the P series, but I picked up one of their 1911's in 2017 because it was $624. It's chambered in 357Sig instead of 9mm. I guess that's appropriate for a Sig 1911.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234