Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 in 9mm...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ve had a Dan Wesson PM9 since 2008 that has been trouble free. Great shooter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ve had a Dan Wesson PM9 since 2008 that has been trouble free. Great shooter

Feedback Score
    I have 9mm 1911's made by Colt, Kimber, Para, RIA, Springfield and Ruger. All are pretty decent in my opinion. Fortunately I'm not a good enough shot to need a $3,000 1911. I'd say that you should just find one with the features you want and get it.

Feedback Score
    Looking at a Sig 1911 Tactical. Has the rail I want and is in really good shape. Comes with 4 or 5 mags. Price is in the $750 range. Not sure that is good for a used Sig 1911 Tac or not.
    Dave
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol/Rife/Shotgun
    MD HQL Instructor Certified

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I have a Colt .38 super that I recently got a Brown 9mm "drop in" barrel to convert to 9 x 19. After a little recoil spring experimentation it runs great. My answer is Colt but I've had Springfields that have been great once they returned from the mothership for warranty work. Their CS is second to none and it was no cost to me.
    I too have a Colt .38 Super that I love. When you change barrels to 9mm, can you use the same magazines ? With handloaded Hornady 125gr HAP's and Autocomp powder, it's one of my most accurate pistols. Do you handload for yours ?

Feedback Score
    I searched GunBroker and gun.deals and found no 9mm Sig 1911 Tacticals.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar15dave View Post
    Looking at a Sig 1911 Tactical. Has the rail I want and is in really good shape. Comes with 4 or 5 mags. Price is in the $750 range. Not sure that is good for a used Sig 1911 Tac or not.
    SIG and Kimber 1911s are frequently why people bad rap 1911s.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    I too have a Colt .38 Super that I love. When you change barrels to 9mm, can you use the same magazines ? With handloaded Hornady 125gr HAP's and Autocomp powder, it's one of my most accurate pistols. Do you handload for yours ?
    Sir, yes I handload and for a while I loaded for accuracy using HAP's in 115, never tried the HAP in 125. I do have some Zero 125hp's in reserve for future experimentation. I have settled on VV powders for my serious loads. I use VV N320 mostly in 9mm and N340 with .38 super auto. I have N330 to try out too. I must add that the Brown drop in barrel in 9mm is very accurate.

In my initial experiment with a 9mm conversion barrel I tried using .38SA mags [Wilson, Tripp, Mecgar] with the 9mm. Results were mixed and I decided to buy some actual 9mm mags for serious use [IDPA, 2 gun, etc.]. I was using a 13# recoil spring with a standard Colt mainspring and I did not deem this set up sufficiently reliable for match use. Then I got the idea that a little more slide speed might help so I went with a lighter 9-10# recoil and viola, I hit the sweet spot. I now have a 3 caliber 1911; .38SA, 9x19 and .22LR with a new top end.
    In .38SA I would trust it with my life, it is extremely well vetted. I haven't gotten there yet with 9mm but it looks promising and .22 is for training and new shooters.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 12-09-20 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    Look into the Springfield Ronin 1911 pistols. All forged steel.
    You get a lot for the price. No rail but all of the features you'll ever need & the price can't be beat. $849.00 for any Ronin model (during normal times) but can still be had for not much more IF you can find one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I searched GunBroker and gun.deals and found no 9mm Sig 1911 Tacticals.
    I just searched under semi-auto pistols, 1911 and then selected the caliber 9mm. Came right up on GB.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin
    SIG and Kimber 1911s are frequently why people bad rap 1911s.
    Have never seen anything bad about Kimbers except the price. Can not really justify that much money for a pistol, unless it is very rare like a Unica 6 Mateba.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta3
    Look into the Springfield Ronin 1911 pistols. All forged steel.
    Will look around and see what I can find. Around $850 is about as high as I really want to go right now.

Thanks for all the input.
    Dave
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol/Rife/Shotgun
    MD HQL Instructor Certified

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast