Thread: VR80 break-in period...

Feedback Score

VR80 break-in period...

Did anyone else have issues breaking in their VR80? Mine will not cycle anything but high brass right now. Have put about 200 rounds through it. I know they say at least 250 rounds for break-in period but it should not just take high brass high velocity rounds. Asked the manufacture and all they said was follow the break-in instructions.

Dave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ar15dave View Post
    Did anyone else have issues breaking in their VR80? Mine will not cycle anything but high brass right now. Have put about 200 rounds through it. I know they say at least 250 rounds for break-in period but it should not just take high brass high velocity rounds. Asked the manufacture and all they said was follow the break-in instructions.

Dave
    What specific ammo are you using? Did you clean it to get all the Turkish goop out of it and relube with a decent lubricant? Also make sure you're using the correct gas piston. I broke mine in with 1350 fps winchester AA loads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    What specific ammo are you using? Did you clean it to get all the Turkish goop out of it and relube with a decent lubricant? Also make sure you're using the correct gas piston. I broke mine in with 1350 fps winchester AA loads.

I was using Winchester Super X High Brass loads. About 1330 velocity. Yeah I broke it down and got rid of all the gooey stuff. Re-lubed with some CLP. It cycles fine with the Super X high brass. It just fails to cycle correct on any low brass ammo which I am told it should not do. Even the high velocity stuff
    Dave
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol/Rife/Shotgun
    MD HQL Instructor Certified

Feedback Score
    Check the gas ports for any burrs and you might have to open them up a bit. The VR80 gas port diameters have been known to be all over the place. I don't remember the exact dimensions but drilling out the ports with a #32 bit is a common fix for increased feed reliability with low velocity loads. Don't give up on it yet, they are awesome once you get them running.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Check the gas ports for any burrs and you might have to open them up a bit. The VR80 gas port diameters have been known to be all over the place. I don't remember the exact dimensions but drilling out the ports with a #32 bit is a common fix for increased feed reliability with low velocity loads. Don't give up on it yet, they are awesome once you get them running.

Yeah, I love the thing. Seems to be one of the better options for AR style 12GA that are out there. Seen some come through our store that just don't match up. Will break it down and check the port and lube it again and then try. Thanks.
    Dave
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol/Rife/Shotgun
    MD HQL Instructor Certified