Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want in a 1911?

Feedback Score

What do you want in a 1911?

I have only three 1911's :

Colt Model of 1911, WWI replica - Carbonia blued.

Remington / UMC Model of 1911 WWI replica - Mfg. by Turnbull.

Springfield Armory 1911 WWII G.I.

I like the 'Springer'. It shoots great and is everything I'll ever want in a 1911.
    No frills - mike

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Polymer frame. Double stack. Striker fired. Linkless. Bushing less. Trigger only safety. Absolute reliability for $600 brand new. Lol....

The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Define the pistol's mission first.

If it's for self-defense carry, it doesn't need to be fit as tightly as a bullseye competition pistol but it needs to be 100% reliable under multiple environmental conditions and using the widest possible assortment of ammo. If it's for show, it needs a classic Colt style blue with mirror finished flats and matt rounds.

If money is no object, engage the services of a top tier 1911 'smith to build one from the ground up to be both 100% reliable and gorgeous. Don't be surprised if such a pistol costs upwards of $4,000. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

All the little bits and pieces are open to personal preference as is the final finish.
    Last edited by Steve_in_Allentown; 12-08-20 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Polymer frame. Double stack. Striker fired. Linkless. Bushing less. Trigger only safety. Absolute reliability for $600 brand new. Lol....

Sounds like a Glock1911

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Forged frame and slide, forged internals, tool steel hammer & sear, good barrel/frame/slide fitment, and a properly radiused and tensioned extractor.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Forged frame and slide, forged internals, tool steel hammer & sear, good barrel/frame/slide fitment, and a properly radiused and tensioned extractor.
    and..... RELIABLE, accurate, and a good set of sights. A crisp, light trigger (but not too light) is part of the overall system:)
    After 40+ years shooting 1911s, when I carry a 1911, it is a DW Valor.
    I’m currently looking for a LW version - maybe DW, maybe another marque?

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Cheater trigger, usable sights, light rail of some kind, stock grip geometry with undercut trigger guard, and usable slide serrations. Forged frame/slide/guts and tooled hammer/sear are requisite, and once those are funded, might as well run a match barrel and fit everything up fancy.

There's a reason it's not considered a viable carry/hard use firearm until a certain price point is hit, and practically polymer double stack 9mm options are close enough that the price delta is starting to look like a pistol RDS, so I'm done pretending my love of 1911's is fully performance based.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    There's a reason it's not considered a viable carry/hard use firearm until a certain price point is hit, and practically polymer double stack 9mm options are close enough that the price delta is starting to look like a pistol RDS, so I'm done pretending my love of 1911's is fully performance based.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with carrying a 1911 because you just like it or because of nostalgia or whatever: I figure maybe one-in-a-hundred people who actually carry a gun concealed on a daily basis actually carry something like a Glock 19. Ninety of them are probably carrying LCPs or J-frames and the remaining nine are probably carrying Glock 43s or M&P Shields.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with carrying a 1911 because you just like it or because of nostalgia or whatever: I figure maybe one-in-a-hundred people who actually carry a gun concealed on a daily basis actually carry something like a Glock 19. Ninety of them are probably carrying LCPs or J-frames and the remaining nine are probably carrying Glock 43s or M&P Shields.
    This is exactly my thought. Honestly, everyone I know carries a gun the size of a P365 or smaller. I carry that or a sub-compact most of the time. During the winter I will sometimes carry a compact sized firearm, if a 1911 it will be a CCO sized model.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I agree, most like a small gun for concealment. I carry a G23 and sometimes swap out the barrel and switch to 357 Sig....been carrying one for over 20yrs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast