Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want in a 1911?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    and..... RELIABLE, accurate, and a good set of sights. A crisp, light trigger (but not too light) is part of the overall system
    After 40+ years shooting 1911s, when I carry a 1911, it is a DW Valor.
    I’m currently looking for a LW version - maybe DW, maybe another marque?

geezer john
    Yeah, I was pretty much working off the DW blueprint.

If I were to carry a single stack 1911, it would be a DW Guardian.

As others below have indicated, my current carry rotation is a G19 MOS and a Shield.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Happy1 View Post
    This is exactly my thought. Honestly, everyone I know carries a gun the size of a P365 or smaller. I carry that or a sub-compact most of the time. During the winter I will sometimes carry a compact sized firearm, if a 1911 it will be a CCO sized model.
    Geez - I must hang with a different crowd:) My “light” pistol is carried truly for light weight - a G17 with Trijicon RDS and at least two 17rd reloads (and two 33rounders in the truck). Heavy pistol is a DW Valor with at least two reload mags.

Again - looking for an equal-quality lightweight 1911 right now.

geezer john

PS - I am, however, 6’5” ad 270#! Pistols and small crew-served weapons tend to hide well on me:)
    Last edited by jmoore; 12-10-20 at 06:14.
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I wish mfgs. would bevel them better, like the S&W 1911.

I had a plain-jane model years ago, and would LOVE to get an E-series eventually. With smaller hands (sz.11 wedding band), I found the beveling under the trigger guard against the frame to be especially welcome, and I had a better grip on the pistol because of it. Better grip leads to more confidence leads to more shots on target.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with carrying a 1911 because you just like it or because of nostalgia or whatever: I figure maybe one-in-a-hundred people who actually carry a gun concealed on a daily basis actually carry something like a Glock 19. Ninety of them are probably carrying LCPs or J-frames and the remaining nine are probably carrying Glock 43s or M&P Shields.
    I think there are more guys carrying 1911's than many here would think. There are a lot of guys, many of them more "seasoned", including at least four I personally know, who actually have carried their GI or commander frame 1911's for 40+ years. I also know a couple younger guys who set their Glock's down for Staccato's. I considered the Staccato C+ myself but don't want to take the time to spend training to get used to the single action "cocked & locked...use the safety" thing. I'm just too engrained using striker fired guns. I may buy one just because they are dang sweet shooters and Texas---Heck yeah!

But also agree with your point that micro-compact guns rule the day. And 99.999% of the time, they are fine, since no gun is actually needed. And with today's selection high capacity, optic ready tiny guns, it's not much of a compromise.
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 06-13-21 at 16:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike213 View Post
    I have only three 1911's :

Colt Model of 1911, WWI replica - Carbonia blued.

Remington / UMC Model of 1911 WWI replica - Mfg. by Turnbull.

Springfield Armory 1911 WWII G.I.

I like the 'Springer'. It shoots great and is everything I'll ever want in a 1911.
    No frills - mike
    OP, I want two things in a 1911...authenticity and function. Meaning If I have all the 1911's I want when I die, I'll have two...an old GI model 1911 in .45 ACP that rattles like a baby's toy and shoots for days and a new Staccato P double stack 9MM

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It should be 100% reliable, and 100% reliable. You know the trigger will be great, ergos great so the only real issue is getting one that eats anything like TRP's and Pros.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The last guy I know who had to shoot people with a 1911 was disgusted at how many times he had to reload. Larger capacity magazines are a legit need at times. I have always found .45 caliber to work exceedingly well, but limited rounds against an unknown amount of targets can be a legit concern.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    what I wanted in a 1911?

reliability of the stock design.

effectiveness of 45 auto.

Outside of unmodified or stock design I did allow for having the trigger pull & break cleaned up.

Outside of that mine is all stock including the wide-spur hammer.

My 1911 works reliably under dang near any conditions, including a broken barrel link pin & a broken take-down pin.

Ejection was 'off' it'd put hot brass down my shirt whereas before it didn't & that's what tipped me off to something was wrong, however the gun still kept going.

Edit: concur on 1911 mag capacity per Stickman's post. Antifa mobs blocking streets & so forth being an example of present day situations. I wouldn't use a 1911 to shoot my way through something like that, a 1911 is a defensive tool, use it to aid oneself in getting away from a situation such as that.
    Last edited by wil; 06-17-21 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wil View Post
    what I wanted in a 1911?

reliability of the stock design.

effectiveness of 45 auto.

Outside of unmodified or stock design I did allow for having the trigger pull & break cleaned up.

Outside of that mine is all stock including the wide-spur hammer.

My 1911 works reliably under dang near any conditions, including a broken barrel link pin & a broken take-down pin.

Ejection was 'off' it'd put hot brass down my shirt whereas before it didn't & that's what tipped me off to something was wrong, however the gun still kept going.

Edit: concur on 1911 mag capacity per Stickman's post. Antifa mobs blocking streets & so forth being an example of present day situations. I wouldn't use a 1911 to shoot my way through something like that, a 1911 is a defensive tool, use it to aid oneself in getting away from a situation such as that.
    I agree with all of that. My nearly stock Colt Super does all of that and with a 9mm barrel, .22LR top end give me options. As for antifa thugs blocking roads, etc., there are several prior choices to shooting one's way out. If it is expected that is what your carbine is for...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I agree with all of that. My nearly stock Colt Super does all of that and with a 9mm barrel, .22LR top end give me options. As for antifa thugs blocking roads, etc., there are several prior choices to shooting one's way out. If it is expected that is what your carbine is for...
    Concur on Antifa, leave the situation and if they engage in violence then shoot. Otherwise if there's however many of them, 20+ or more? I have 4 mags on me? I'm leaving and if they come after me then I shoot and do so to get out of the situation.

A 1911 W/ 4 mags or so against that many is simply outmatched, better to use it to help oneself get out of the situation.

mine being all stock with well established stock 1911 reliability I do have the confidence it'll work, no worries about it jamming on the ammo I use, mags, etc.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast