Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10mm ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

10mm ?

For many years I wanted a .38 super auto but couldn't see a reason to get one. For me a pistol must serve a practical purpose, better yet two practical purposes. For me it's always been self defense and games, IDPA, USPSA, and lately 2 gun. Once I got one I loved it and now my super has a 9mm barrel as well as a .22 upper.

I really like the 10mm but I can't see why I should get one. I don't hunt and I don't walk in areas populated by large dangerous game [other than 2 legged types]. Do any of you carry or game with a 10mm ? Any good reason to have one outside of hunting or woods defense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post

I really like the 10mm but I can't see why I should get one. I don't hunt and I don't walk in areas populated by large dangerous game [other than 2 legged types].
    Seems like a good reason to me
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Any good reason to have one outside of hunting or woods defense?
    Sonny Crockett!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Well, with 10mm you're getting 300-400 more ft pounds of energy at the muzzle than 9mm, so if you ever had to shoot a 2 legged threat, more energy on target doesn't hurt...

That being said, the ability to shoot the gun well, with both speed and accuracy, is more important in a gunfight than just energy, not to mention ammo capacity.

I would think that most people shoot more accurately with easier follow up shots and quicker split times with 9mm than 10mm, and you can carry more rounds in a smaller package with 9mm. For these reasons, i always carry 9mm for my daily carry gun, and only take my 10mm when i'm out in the woods.

Don't get me wrong, i really like my 10mm Glock 20, but i don't think the increased energy advantage of the larger rounds outweigh the accuracy, speed, and ammo capacity advantages of my 9mm pistols, for 2-legged threats. Especially in today's world where you have a lot of good 9mm defense rounds to choose from. But if you really want a 10mm, get one! They are fun guns!
    Last edited by B Cart; 12-09-20 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Sonny Crockett!

He had pets that were way more badasser than any 10sillimeter handgun.

If I had one of those I could teach it to do a few simple tasks to 'assist me' and then get it registered as a 'service animal' and legally be able to take it with me everywhere.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have moved to 10MM Glock 20 SF as my truck, woods, hunting and walking around the border pistol. My accuracy and split times using full power 180 grain loads at 1250 FPS are slightly better than what I can manage with my Glock 19. Im a pretty big dude though so I have wondered if recoil management of a 10mm for me is comparable to 9mm recoil management for an average sized person. Muzzle energy from many full power 10MM loads such as Underwood come very close to AR 10.5 inch SBR levels.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    He had pets that were way more badasser than any 10sillimeter handgun.
    ELVIS!!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Sonny Crockett!
    Who says he used 10mm? Bren 10s were available (if you want to call it that) in 45acp, the two used for the show were .45 ACP blank firing pistols with hard chromed slides for better low light television scenes visibility.

Most commercial 10mm is loaded to .40 S&W ballistics rather than the original hot Norma loading.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 12-10-20 at 12:47.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Who says he used 10mm? Bren 10s were available (if you want to call it that) in 45acp, the two used for the show were .45 ACP blank firing pistols with hard chromed slides for better low light television scenes visibility.

Most commercial 10mm is loaded to .40 S&W ballistics rather than the original hot Norma loading.
    I'm aware of all of that.

I bet he didn't really sleep with a live gator in the boat too!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Napes on 10mm. I see no reason unless you have a 1000 of 10mm sitting on the shelf. Otherwise you have a huge new project on your hands. And that is not an ideal 2020-21 project. No telling when it will be.

PB.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast