Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10mm ?

Feedback Score
    10mm is a reloaders dream. Load it lower power for plinking, gaming etc. or load it up for hunting, or as a back up pistol in dangerous game country. It wouldn’t be a choice for me however if I didn’t reload for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    10mm is a reloaders dream. Load it lower power for plinking, gaming etc. or load it up for hunting, or as a back up pistol in dangerous game country. It wouldn’t be a choice for me however if I didn’t reload for it.
    This. I bought a XDM 10mm just for fun; I have no real use for it. I can load FBI lite if I want, or full power, just by changing powders. It's just a fun thing.

Note: 10mm is far snappier recoil in a 1911 than it is in the XDM.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Always wanted a shiny Colt Delta Elite in 10mm - was totally bummed when I heard 10mm was tearing those guns up (but that was hearsay pre-Internet world)

Trajectory rocks if you like longer range pistol shooting on steel.

Totally agree that the G20 platform is great especially if you play with G19 or G17s - all is the same...just bigger.

I have a buddy who treks around the Appalachian Trail and carry's a G20 for bears.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In one of my few nods to Boomer-ism, I carry a 10mm 1911 in a shoulder holster as my 'woods gun'. Climbing into or out of a stand, doing work, ducking through bush, etc, I prefer carrying the backup underneath my coat or sweatshirt to having it on my waist. 10mm in semi-auto is probably the most suitable for both two legged and four legged predators; should the need arise. That said, it is snappy, heavy, etc. It's a caliber worth owning IMO.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I recently came into the 10MM “family” by purchasing a reloading guys collection of 10MM handguns, well at least some. A basket case Colt Delta Elite Gen 1, S&W 1086 3rd Gen & two Glock 20s ( one heavily modified, 2nd box stock never shot) The only reason this collection was sold is guy wanted to reduce his ”footprint” in his garage, he literally had no space for “regular” tools etc that one would use a garage for, every square ft was occupied by something to do with reloading ammo. The only reason I got into 10mm was my buddy’s Springfield 1911 in 10MM that he insisted I try. Love at 1st mag! The Delta will go off to a 1911 Smith not sure which, the modded G20 was sold quickly as it was a pure comp gun with porting etc etc. the stock G20 is staying and the 1086 stays as the guy had 18 loaded mags for it! My real love is the Delta with a busted plunger tube, thumbsafety and so so grip safety. They guy was great at reloading rifle ammo but ‘SMithing and pistol ammo were not his main claim to range fame! Luckily he only did minor things to the Delta not cutting or grinding, the modded G20 was another story. I regret that I missed the S&W 610 that was disassembled by his deceased ‘ Smith & never repaired or reassembled.

Feedback Score
    Last month I picked up a RIA 1911 10mm, and for its price I liked what I held.
    Since then I have been able to buy 200 factory cartridges (liking Underwood a lot) .... and another magazine.
    While it is not a beautiful Colt 1911, this pistol is very functional in carry and shooting.
    Yes it is heavy (16+ 1 magazine) but for a series 70 clone it is fun, and for $730 worth the price.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    For many years I wanted a .38 super auto but couldn't see a reason to get one. For me a pistol must serve a practical purpose, better yet two practical purposes. For me it's always been self defense and games, IDPA, USPSA, and lately 2 gun. Once I got one I loved it and now my super has a 9mm barrel as well as a .22 upper.

I really like the 10mm but I can't see why I should get one. I don't hunt and I don't walk in areas populated by large dangerous game [other than 2 legged types]. Do any of you carry or game with a 10mm ? Any good reason to have one outside of hunting or woods defense?
    I'm pragmatic on the topic also. If it does not fit a role and or does not get shot, it's not for me and or gone. Having said that, I have a .357 wheel gun - SW 686 - as a woods/camp gun. If i were to start over with a gun for that role, I'd get a Glock 20. I'm not a Glock fan and don't own one, but that seems the best of the 10mm pistols to me and i was surprised the recoil was not sharper than it was. I don't personally see a value to a 10mm 1911 unless you just want one. Not sure about 10mm 1911 reliability either. Outside of woods/hunting/camp pistol, does not fit any role for me. Not a lot of people CCW 10mm I suspect. I only know one person who does.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4fun View Post
    Always wanted a shiny Colt Delta Elite in 10mm - was totally bummed when I heard 10mm was tearing those guns up (but that was hearsay pre-Internet world)

Trajectory rocks if you like longer range pistol shooting on steel.

Totally agree that the G20 platform is great especially if you play with G19 or G17s - all is the same...just bigger.

I have a buddy who treks around the Appalachian Trail and carry's a G20 for bears.
    Not sure I agree with the 10mm cartridge “tearing up” the Colt DE. For one thing, it doesn’t have a ramped barrel, it has the traditional frame ramp and barrel interface that all Colt 1911s have. That means that full powered Underwood loaded ammo probably isn’t a good idea. A proper Main spring and a flat bottomed firing pin stop really help. I have shot my DE plenty with maximum loadings from the reloading manual and it is definitely a snappier recoil impulse. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've shot a Delta Elite since the mid-80s. Early on shot a lot of the very hot 10 mm at the time, both factory and hot hunting/defense hand loads.

I've never had an issue in durability, nor has anyone else I know with Delta Elites.

There were some stress riser related frame issues which were eliminated with relief cuts in production changes. Mine has those relief cuts, which could be why we've not seen issues.

I'm not saying DE potential durability issues are a myth... But I do believe them to be overblown and are much rarer than magazines and internet lore would have you think.

The guns are certainly not blowing up or falling apart if you stay within design pressure ranges. And those design ranges are substantially hotter than 40 SW.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123