Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focusable flashlights

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Focusable flashlights

I was standing in line at the UPS store recently, and spied an interesting flashlight on the shelf, called the Nebo Micro Redline OC. I of course had to play with it as I waited. It takes a 123 battery and it has a focusable lens that works via twisting the head, rather than pulling on it like its other chinesium brethren.

The ability to focus a handheld light strikes me as possibly having utility. Is there a reputable company that has produced such a thing, and I simply have not been exposed to it? I wonder about the possibility of having both spill and throw in a single light, on demand. Like an OKW that is also a moderately powerful flood light, with just a twist of the head. Have I eaten too many paint chips and overlooked obvious reasons that this is a silly idea?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is a cheap Chinese, essentially disposable, gimmicky light. Not very bright, and will have durability issues in fairly short order. There's a reason why all the focusable lights are sold at Walmart and convenience store checkouts, and that no even remotely reputable manufacturers make such a thing. A novelty.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Notice what the NRA is now sending out when you re-up - a focusable (push-pull) flashlight. Good for taking the dogs out for yard duty - or at least until it craps out:)
    FWIW - my fave “utility”/ low power light is the Surefire Stiletto. It just doesn’t hold charge that long. (5 dogs currently - so lots of yard duty every night:) But - recharging every other day is far cheaper than the 123s for all of my other Surefires:)

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never heard of that brand, so I can't comment on the quality or durability.

On the comments about it being Chinese, sure, there are a crapload of cheap Chinese lights, and this one certainly smells of it, but make no mistake, the bigger brands can hold their own against the US branded ones. Brands like Fenix, Thrunite, Klarus, Olight, Zebralight, Nitecore, Eagtac and Manker are pretty damn good lights which use the same LED technology as everyone else in the flashlight world.

I only have personal experience with Eagtac, Klarus and Olight. They have served me well. The Klarus XT11 took a straight up beating until I finally popped a solder joint on the driver board by dropping it off a 40' boom lift onto concrete. It didn't even die immediately. It took a month before it went intermittent. No light is really built to take that kind of punishment, but it did. A couple other friends have the same experience (theirs are still working though - minus the 40' drop) . That says something.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m aware that what I was looking at was a cheap, garbage chinese light. I’m not looking for opinions on that. What I’m asking is A) does any reputable brand make a similar (but reliable and durable) thing or B) why not.

Adrenaline 6, thanks for your input... I figured you’d have some insight. I’ll look into those brands later tonight.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m aware that what I was looking at was a cheap, garbage chinese light. I’m not looking for opinions on that. What I’m asking is A) does any reputable brand make a similar (but reliable and durable) thing or B) why not.

Adrenaline 6, thanks for your input... I figured you’d have some insight. I’ll look into those brands later tonight.
    The Chinese brands that I've had good luck with are Fenix, Lumintop, Olight, and Streamlight.
    Last edited by georgeib; 12-10-20 at 09:32.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    The Chinese brands that I've had good luck with are Fenix, Lumintop, Olight, and Streamlight.
    Are you saying that “focusable light” is synonymous with “Chinese”?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Are you saying that “focusable light” is synonymous with “Chinese”?
    No. IMHO Chinese doesn't automatically mean low quality, aka "Chinesium." However, focusable lights have all been "chinesium" so far. They tend to all be sub $20, and as much as I thought the concept was neat, the implementation has been severely lacking. And I haven't been able to find one that I would give a dollar for.

I'm a mild flashlight freak, and I own maybe 20 or so led lights including weapon lights from Surefire, Streamlight, and Olight. I use rechargeable Lithium batteries in most of my lights, with the exception of my CR123a only lights like the Surefire x300u, Streamlight TLR-1, and Olight Valkyries. I have a couple Nitecore smart battery chargers for my few dozen or so 18650s, 16650s, 14500s, 18350s, and RCR123s.

My EDCs are the Lumintop Tool AA EDC with 14500 batteries which give around 650 lumens in a AA size light, and can still use AAs in a pinch. Cheap enough that I own 4. Here's a link to one that comes with a USB chargeable battery: https://smile.amazon.com/LUMINTOP-Fl...dp/B07X3BMZXS/

Feedback Score
    Water resistance usually goes out the window with zoom lights, due to the need to push things back and forth within the bezel, and thus a need to equalize air pressure, so not a great choice on WMLs. There is also the issue of lost light due to it being wasted when focusing when using an aspheric lens to adjust the beam.

Ledlenser has a lot of lights that have a fairly advanced zoom system that's worth looking into.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Water resistance usually goes out the window with zoom lights, due to the need to push things back and forth within the bezel, and thus a need to equalize air pressure, so not a great choice on WMLs. There is also the issue of lost light due to it being wasted when focusing when using an aspheric lens to adjust the beam.

Ledlenser has a lot of lights that have a fairly advanced zoom system that's worth looking into.
    That might be worth a look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast