Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol Browning Hi-Power

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Karl Sokol Browning Hi-Power

Here are a couple pics of a pistol I sent to Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports. A before and after.

This pistol was purchased off gunbroker from Mach 1. It is an Israeli surplus and was sold as a "gunsmith special." The original finish was rough and the trigger guard was bent so that it rubbed on the trigger.

I stripped the frame and sent it off to a welding shop in Massachusetts called Micro Arc Welding. They were able to straighten the trigger guard and clean up the area so it looked factory.

Afterwards I put the pistol back together and sent it off to Karl for his $750 package. This includes stipple work of the front and back grip areas as well as a general action polish. I requested a Heinie black rear paired with a gold bead front. I also sent a set of Navidrex grips from Brownell's and requested a more traditional blued finish vs the Mountain Tuff coated finish normally done as part of the $750 package.

Well, Mr. Sokol emailed me yesterday to tell me that the gun is ready. I have sent him a final payment and will hopefully have the gun back by the end of the month. More pics will follow.

In the meantime here is the before and after:

BEFORE

AFTER

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The gun pictured above is actually my second Sokol pistol. Here is the first.

This gun was bought locally a couple years ago. It was fairly tight mechanically but with lots of finish wear. Evidence of being carried quite a bit but likely not shot much.

This, like the gun above, has his $750 package but with blued finish. Black Novak rear and gold bead front and Navidrex grips.

Note that the safety was an original flat version that Karl added a shelf to. It looks and feels quite similar to the C&S extended safety now.

Back about five months ago I sent a used pistol to Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports. I asked him to complete his $750 Hi Power package with a few additions. The 1st special request was to blue the gun rather than paint it. Another option I wanted was to have an extended safety fabricated as opposed to buying something like the C&S extended safety. Lastly, I had him install a gold bead front paired with a black rear.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Amazing ! I have an Israeli hp that needs that!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Very Nice. My dad just gave me what i believe is a 1984 based off of the serial number. I don't have any other high powers so not a ton of knowledge on them other than i have always wanted one

Have just started researching smiths to have it worked over, so appreciate the post.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they are appreciated

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Very Nice. My dad just gave me what i believe is a 1984 based off of the serial number. I don't have any other high powers so not a ton of knowledge on them other than i have always wanted one

Have just started researching smiths to have it worked over, so appreciate the post.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they are appreciated
    The "big dogs" for Hi Power work are probably Ted Yost and Jim Garthwaite. Sadly, Jim passed away a few months ago.

Novaks is another great option as is the Action Works.

Karl Sokol is known for his Hi Power work and has a reputation of building solid fighting pistols rather than heirloom presentation pieces.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice! Have one of the Israeli FNs too! IMG_20180812_123302488.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Nice! Have one of the Israeli FNs too! IMG_20180812_123302488.jpg

Yours is in much nicer shape. One like that is probably worth leaving alone. Unmolested clean military guns will be collectibles in their own right in 10 or 15 years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yours is in much nicer shape. One like that is probably worth leaving alone. Unmolested clean military guns will be collectibles in their own right in 10 or 15 years.

Shitty camera makes gun look good. It looks like it was spay painted!

Don't have any real good pictures. This is from when I bought itIMG_20180514_165811829.jpg

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A very nice looking pair.
    Karl’s name does come up when discussing legit P35 smiths, with good reason.
    Don Williams is also a Master with the BHP, as is Novak’s.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Karl’s name does come up when discussing legit P35 smiths...
    Yes. He doesn't seem to get much press nowadays. None of the old school smiths seem to in this day and age of textured plastic frames and red dot ready slides.

Karl was rumored to be a top choice back in the day for SF guys and similar who needed serious fighting handguns.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast