Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol Browning Hi-Power

Feedback Score
    I have owned BHPs with packages from Novak’s, Don Williams and my current Jim Garrthwaite. While I love my Garthwaite, it is not a complete package, missing stippling, and a Gold dot front site, but pretty complete other than that. It also has a hard fit Bar Sto barrel with a nicely done Crown. I picked it up in this condition, and sadly missed the opportunity to send it back to him to complete, prior to his passing. I did have a conversation with him about it though. Nice man.

Having said that, the one I loved most was a Novak’s complete custom in .40s&w, and included a 357sig conversion. THAT was my favorite(357sig), and was super accurate, I then called on Don Williams about building me a 9mm custom slide, so I could shoot on the cheap. He did a fantastic job as well with an Israeli surplus slide he had sitting around. I sent him the lower, and he hand fit it for me. All three did excellent work. My brother also has a Don Williams, and a complete Novak’s SRT. So I have quite a bit of exposure to several of the custom smiths, you couldn’t go wrong with any of the ones mentioned here, or above. I have a Ted Yost 1* 1911, and I would love to have him build me a BHP, but he really only does full house customs anymore, and that’s not what I would want. I would rather have a working BHP from him. BTW, I hate beavertails on BHPs! Just sayin’.

PS, I always chuckle when I think about putting down $2,500-$3,000 for a customGlock(or other plastic piece), then I think, for the same money you could have a real masterpiece, and consider how difficult that work is comparatively speaking.

Edit#2 to add: OP, great choice on Sokol. He does fantastic work as well. As good as any that have been referred so far!
    Last edited by yugo308guy; 12-10-20 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Amen on the “Beavertails on P-35s are horrendous”.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo308guy View Post
    I hate beavertails on BHPs!
    I think the beavertail ruins the trim and thoughtful lines of the pistol because they are too long. Has anyone even done something that's more of a tang extension instead of the long upswept beavertail?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One of the right side.

Note the shortened slide stop axle. It had actually been flushed up with the side of the frame previously but I asked Karl to dimple it. Now it should be more easily pushed out using a cartridge, pen, etc.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    That’s a nice touch. Looks great!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's a breakdown on the work done to the second pistol:

$750 BHP pkg with requested upgrades:

gold bead front sight

rear installation/machining

extra dehorn/clean-up work

dimple slide stop pin

clean-up broken safety shaft

fit grips to frame

firm up thumb safety

fit thumb safety to new sear

test fire ammo/range time

Karl included price for each of these requested services. I deleted them to leave him the flexibility of increasing labor and parts costs as necessary. But additional costs were negligible and certainly fair considering the overall condition of the base gun.

Info on the $750 package is here:

https://chestnutmountainsports.net/cmspackages.htm

Last edited by Tokarev; 12-12-20 at 13:12.

Feedback Score
    Karl is a legend. He built my first custom 1911 20 years ago, and another one a couple of years ago, with lots of other projects in between. His pricing is fair, and his work is thorough. Cant wait to hear how you like it once you open the box.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maca1 View Post
    Karl is a legend. He built my first custom 1911 20 years ago, and another one a couple of years ago...
    Mind posting a pic or two for us?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    OP, beautiful guns!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast