Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning for cold weather

Feedback Score
    Good post. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and most of my family is from ND and MN, the later of which is were I spent my high school years. I hunt in northern MN and Wisconsin and always have a little emergency kit in my truck, which I will list a few items down below that have served me well. This is mainly set up as I have a 45 minute commute home and I wanted something I could throw in a "get home bag", as I know it is probably a day walk at best.

Rocky Pack-able Jacket. It is very warm for what it is, I don't recommend using it everyday as it doesn't seem durable enough for that, but it is warm and packs into a small area.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Insulat...1-2&th=1&psc=1

SOL emergency blanket. I was late season duck hunting and when I went out to grab a decoy I slipped into the main channel and filled my waders with 33 degree water. We had a 30 minute boat ride to get out of the state park that I froze through, luckily one of the guys had this in his truck.
    https://www.rei.com/product/813511/sol-emergency-bivy

A basic skivvy role. T-shirt, underwear, jogging shorts and socks. I wish I had this when I went into the sugar river duck hunting. I should add a cheap pair of walmart sweatshirt and sweatpants, just in case.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I've posted this before on other forums but thought I'd mention it here in case it gives someone an idea.

A couple years ago after an emergency call on the river, I decided to find an emergency shelter I could carry in a cargo pocket in case I fell into the drink and had to wait out help. I keep a bag with plenty of gear on the boat, but since I'm not wearing it there's a chance I could become separated from it. Settled on a palmer furnace setup - not a new idea, you can make them with just about anything from a garbage bag up to a regular USGI poncho, this is just a version that fits in a cargo pocket.

The idea is that if you're out unexpectedly in the cold, you can put the poncho on (made of heatsheets type material), inflate the seat cushion, sit cross legged up against a tree or pack or something and light a candle between your legs to create a warm microclimate. You won't be getting any sleep but it'll get you through the night in a pinch. In my testing the outside temp was right above 32f and drizzling, there was no wind (thankfully) and I had on regular street clothes and a light jacket inadequate for the temperature. Inside with two wicks burning got up into the mid 80s. Only cold spots are what was touching the mylar like poncho. After about an hour and a half my butt was going numb from sitting that long and I was ready to be done, but I was warm. This candle is just a home made job using some beeswax and wick from local hobby store, IIRC with both wicks going it lasts about 5 hours, all night if one at a time. Exotac makes some pre-made beeswax candles as well.

The rubber bands are to keep the arm holes of the poncho closed.

kEwdnRC.jpg

fgVV9AS.jpg

mLzwH2d.jpg

koT8yBF.jpg

I've since added a couple of toe warmers. In addition to lighter / matches, if you preposition some fluffed up tinder quik to the candle wick you can use a spark from a ferro rod to light it, since it's probably not something you want to futz around with when freezing

BvJpFFn.jpg
    Last edited by Burncycle; 01-17-21 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    I have polypro and fleece tops and bottoms, socks, watch caps, and balaclavas in my emergency bag in my rig. I used my kitchen vacuum sealer to dramatically reduce their bulk and prevent them from drawing any moisture.

You have to be selective in what items you compress however-down clothing takes at least 24 hours to regain its loft after being compressed, so it is not a good choice for vacuum sealing if you plan to pull the item out immediately and use it.

I got the idea from the Wiggy's sleeping bags I have, which had the option of being purchased compressed.

I haven't had to use the clothing in an emergency yet, but have gotten items out for comfort more than a few times. For examples,I broke out tops for my kids during the summer when we were in a restaurant that had its A/C way too cold for comfort, and my son and I used the items one 64 degree day on a high school rocket launch. The 64 degrees wasn't bad, but having to walk 1/4 of a mile through wet thigh-deep grass left our legs and feet soaked. Then the open launch area had constant 15-20 mph winds. The choices were leave, be miserable all day and probably end up hypothermic at the end, or break out the gear. I broke out the gear. It, plus 1 hour spent warming in my Suburban with the heat cranked midday, allowed us to get through the day.

Feedback Score
    The best under garnets out there is made by duckworth. It’s 10x better than silk, is all natural fiber, doesn’t tear like silk and wicks sweat.
    To hell with the new age material though, give me filson heavy wool coat, wool pants, wool scotch cap and an army green wool shirt and I’ll be warm to about -40f, a good green army wool light sweater with the duckworth underneath. The only new age material I like are my muckboots. Yes it’s heavy and bulky, but it’s warm and you’re layered, layers save lives. You can open various layers up to cool off or button everything down and the coat protects you from the cold while everything else keeps you warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12