Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at gun in holster

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Looking at gun in holster

Anyone look at their pistol standing at the line after making ready? I've seen a few guys do it over the years, never gave it much thought. Then it just sort of popped into my mind Monday while dry firing. I tried it and it seems to speed up the draw and diminish drawing flubbs. Dont think I'll try it this Sat yet at the local USPSA. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can see how it would be an advantage for speed in competition, but also a negative habit that would carry over if ever used in the field.

Feedback Score
    It might speed the draw, but then slow target acquisition... as mentioned in real life it would be a detriment.

A better plan would be to practice your draw so that you don't have to look at your gun to know where it is.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    Anyone look at their pistol standing at the line after making ready? I've seen a few guys do it over the years, never gave it much thought. Then it just sort of popped into my mind Monday while dry firing. And if you need to find good lender feel free to check out https://loanwinners.com/ for some info and tips I tried it and it seems to speed up the draw and diminish drawing flubbs. Dont think I'll try it this Sat yet at the local USPSA. Any thoughts?
    I believe that if you do it million times over and over again your muscle memory will step in
    I never saw any of my instructors do that and they all were soldiers back in the day so maybe only amateurs or people that are still learning do that
    Last edited by samll; 01-07-21 at 06:18.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This is the competitive shooting forum. It's not the "get you killed on the streets" or "face shooters don't do that" forum.

OP--I'd suggest trying it with a variety of first shot presentations. In Stoeger and Racaza's classes they really emphasize that your eyes should be always looking for the next shot. I'd wager that the draw advantages would be negated by having to look for the first shot after the draw.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I've always taught that eyes should be target focused, and the pistol should be presented in front of the eyes and on target. I fail to see any application, whether it be competitive or "real world" where looking at the pistol is beneficial. More reps of live fire and dry fire will speed up your draw and presentation.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I’m USPSA the only time I would recommend a hard focus on looking at the gun would be a table start. I’ve never seen anyone look at their holstered gun at the start of a stage.

On a side note I wish more people would take the time to look at gun and holster when re-holstering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Do you want to train for the game, or train for something else? To me the advantage of competitive shooting is the forcing function and added pressure to perform forces a level of automaticity that can't be easily replicated without spending tons more time at the range and dry firing... but I'm also willing to lose comprehensively if I feel a stage layout is too contrived.
    It's very much a 'real improvement when you're starting off' type thing, that becomes a lasting training scar if not addressed.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    I strive to have muscle memory for getting the first shot on target. At least for close targets I’m point shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I look at the ground with target and gun in peripherals. As soon as my hand hits the gun I look at the target.

I find it helps consistency, and average draw time drops slightly. If I can't see both, I just look at the target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast