Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long range class AR10 questions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Long range class AR10 questions

I have a 16” 308 LMT MWS I want to use for this class. Longer barrels are just not available except LMT has the .260 Remington 20” available. I’m trying to avoid buying another weapon so what ate your thoughts on this barrel and a PRS stock for the class?

When I had my eye on the same rifle with 20” 308 barrel, I asked the instructor who said I was GTG. However, I missed getting it so am back to square one. I’ve seen 6.5CR ads. It they’re crazy expensive and in either case, I’d be getting into a new caliber anyway. From what I’ve read, they have similar performance?

Please advise your thoughts. Thanks y’all.

Feedback Score
    What kind of range are we talking??

16" should be good for most of what a 308 can do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry, 1K-1200y

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor have near-identical performance and would have a flatter trajectory out to 1000-1200 yards.

The PRS stock is very stable for long range shooting, though I've only used mine on a 5.56 out to 500-600 yards

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. As it happens, I was able to find a rifle with PRS stock and 20” 308 barrel for sale. I may still pickup the
    .260 barrel for that class though as I’m sure it’s better than the 308 for that. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wait do you own the rifle already or not?

If you already own the rifle and have time behind it, DO NOT change it before a class. The best learning is built off of experience.

Also if the instructor said to bring it, then theres your answer.

I literally just wrapped up helping my buddy teach a precision rifle class and we had 2 dudes make contact with the 1004 yard ipsc steel using 77gr 556, through 16" & 18" AR's. Once they got their wind calls they where able to do it repeatedly. Of course the 300WM made better work of the range, and the SR25's fell in-between the two calibers.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ve had about 40 rounds on the rifle but with 16” barrel and at 340y. Very little experience with it. Just did a deal on a another rifle with 20” 308 barrel and wondering if I should also get the .260 barrel for the class. I’m sure the 20” 308 will get it done but if the 260 is way better and now available, I’d like to jump on it now and train.

To sum it up.......Yes, the Instructor said the 308 is GTG but is the 260 better?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The existing 16" barrel is plenty of gun out to 1200 yards with good ammo. (175 SMKs or something) You just need enough come up in your scope and dope for the ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Ok you want the 260 barrel.

Do you have or can you get ammo??

Why run a new caliper just for a class?? The whole point of the class is to learn to use what you have.

See if they will let you bring the 16" and 20".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mark and I have shot a 16 inch barrel out to 1,300 yards for years. Don't waist your money and buy the longer barrel. I bought a 20 inch 308 barrel and picked up only like 50fps and was quite disappointed. And didn't shoot much that much straighter if my memory serves me.

If you have ammo or can reload, you could buy a 260 or 6.5CM for down the road for fun, but stick with your 16' 308 for your class.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast