Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SA Custom Shop Upgrades

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Frank Glenn is one of the last Python qualified pistol smiths out there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    Well crap. Is there anyone out there that does that kind of simple work without having to wait a year. Yes, I know of I'm going to be a 1911 guy I should be able to do that myself, besides the refinishing. But I'm not going to carry a 1911 I used to learn on.
    If you're hoping to keep "local", Dave Sams is in southern-ish VA and a superb 1911 gunsmith.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    FWIW, wanted to update information about Springfield Custom shop, work they do on EXISTING pistols (vs new custom guns), and status of Dave Williams there. Was talking with them today about refinish options on an existing Springfield I have, here's the info straight from Springfield CS rep.

Dave Williams: he is no longer working at Springfield Custom shop. But he does actually still work at Springfield--in the research and development department.

Here's a price list of services that Springfield Custom will do on an existing pistol (they are only emailing this, not listing on their website, so I guess it's something they aren't trying to promote):

Springfield Armory 1911 Upgrade Services: ($100 Minimum Required)
    *Refinishing done at additional charge
    ❑ Install combat low mount sight fixed rear sight and front sight with tritium . . . $175.00
    No machining required
    ❑ Machine and install Springfield Armory® adjustable rear and dovetail front sight (target) . . . $225.00*
    (Bomar or LPA)
    ❑ Machine and install fiber optic dovetail front sight . . . $80.00*
    ❑ Machine and install tritium dovetail front sight . . . $90.00*
    ❑ Install existing Springfield Armory® dovetail cut fiber optic . . . $65.00*
    ❑ Install existing Springfield Armory® dovetail cut tritium front sight . . . $75.00*
    ❑ Armory Kote™ – Complete pistol . . .$250.00
    ❑ Black “T” – Complete pistol . . . $250.00
    ❑ Phosphate – Complete pistol . . .$130.00
    ❑ Bead blast & polish stainless steel – Complete pistol . . . $250.00
    ❑ Action job, series 70 with existing parts (4.5lb. or greater) . . . $100.00
    ❑ Action job, with tool steel match hammer & sear, lightweight trigger . . . $275.00
    (Required for trigger pull less than 4lb.) Anything less than 4lb. will require signed released
    ❑ Fit match barrel and bushing . . . $290.00
    (Non-supported chamber)
    ❑ Fit fully ramped & supported match barrel and bushing . . . $390.00
    Last edited by maximus83; 12-15-20 at 12:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    FWIW, wanted to update information about Springfield Custom shop, work they do on EXISTING pistols (vs new custom guns), and status of Dave Williams there. Was talking with them today about refinish options on an existing Springfield I have, here's the info straight from Springfield CS rep.

Dave Williams: he is no longer working at Springfield Custom shop. But he does actually still work at Springfield--in the research and development department.

Here's a price list of services that Springfield Custom will do on an existing pistol (they are only emailing this, not listing on their website, so I guess it's something they aren't trying to promote):

Springfield Armory 1911 Upgrade Services: ($100 Minimum Required)
    *Refinishing done at additional charge
    ❑ Install combat low mount sight fixed rear sight and front sight with tritium . . . $175.00
    No machining required
    ❑ Machine and install Springfield Armory® adjustable rear and dovetail front sight (target) . . . $225.00*
    (Bomar or LPA)
    ❑ Machine and install fiber optic dovetail front sight . . . $80.00*
    ❑ Machine and install tritium dovetail front sight . . . $90.00*
    ❑ Install existing Springfield Armory® dovetail cut fiber optic . . . $65.00*
    ❑ Install existing Springfield Armory® dovetail cut tritium front sight . . . $75.00*
    ❑ Armory Kote™ – Complete pistol . . .$250.00
    ❑ Black “T” – Complete pistol . . . $250.00
    ❑ Phosphate – Complete pistol . . .$130.00
    ❑ Bead blast & polish stainless steel – Complete pistol . . . $250.00
    ❑ Action job, series 70 with existing parts (4.5lb. or greater) . . . $100.00
    ❑ Action job, with tool steel match hammer & sear, lightweight trigger . . . $275.00
    (Required for trigger pull less than 4lb.) Anything less than 4lb. will require signed released
    ❑ Fit match barrel and bushing . . . $290.00
    (Non-supported chamber)
    ❑ Fit fully ramped & supported match barrel and bushing . . . $390.00
    Yeah, they had that list on the site for a while, then it disappeared; nice to see it's still technically offered, even though not having it available on the site seems to say a lot about what kind of business they'd rather be. It's pitiful in options compared to heyday. Also isn't clear if they'll work on any 1911 or jus SA now, but it used to be you could send them virtually anything and ask for virtually anything and they were up for it -- and they were a superb shop in the work they turned out.

Wonder what the gutting did to their expertise...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^Hard to say what impact the changes have had. Change isn't always bad and it doesn't mean their quality will go downhill just because Dave W. moved on. The proof is in the pudding: only way to tell how they're doing will be their actual custom work when folks send them pistols.

I think the fact their price listing says "series 70" suggests they'd work on non-SA pistols. But I don't know for a fact, I didn't ask that.
    Last edited by maximus83; 12-15-20 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bah Humbug !

Feedback Score
    I have been looking at purchasing a nice tier 1 1911 and the Springfield Pro keeps coming out very favorably. The biggest reasons I haven't decided to go with a Springfield Pro, is the lack of a couple of options. if I could get it with a undercut trigger guard, which is standard on a lot of 1911's these days, forward serrations on the slide and options for a Heine style rear sight I would put in my order. I have not seen that SA is approachable about these options, anyone know differently? Also, is there any reason they don't offer the Professional series in a 10mm? I would like to have one each in 45acp and 10mm.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Back when the Springfield "Custom Shop" was a custom shop and Dave Williams ran that group, Ken Hackathorn was offered a chance to purchase a Pro pistol (by Dave). Ken took the offer and asked for a few additional "custom" features. If I remember reading the write up correctly, he asked for the squared trigger guard, front slide cocking serration, S&A magwell with "scallops", there may have been a couple more things. Here is a picture of the gun as it appeared on gunbroker a few months ago. It was sold recently for more than a new one cost today.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Very nice. A bit of 1911 History.

The downside to "Squared Trigger Guards"- is availability (or lack of) of holsters.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

The downside to "Squared Trigger Guards"- is availability (or lack of) of holsters.
    Ken does not have that problem

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast