Thread: What Do I Need For a Rebarrel?

Feedback Score

What Do I Need For a Rebarrel?

I have a M40A3 clone that needs a new barrel. Like, accuracy all of a sudden tanked worn. I've never rebarreled one, so what do I need and what do I choose? I'm planning on sending it to Mile High when I get the barrel in.

My current barrel is 24" with a 1-12 twist in .308. I'm sticking with .308. I shoot 175gr SMKs 99.9% of the time now, but I've been playing with Berger 175's and I'd like the option to try Hornady 178's, and maybe some of the longer Berger's as well. I'd like to keep the length at 24" What twist would be appropriate? What contour?

I was thinking of ordering a Bartlein or Brux barrel. What do I order? Am I ordering a blank and having Mile High cut the chamber, cut to correct length, and thread for a comp if I decide to mount a suppressor? Obviously I'm not wedded to keeping it clone correct. That's just what I wanted at the time.

I just don't want to be in a position of wasting my time ordering something that won't fit what I'm asking for and having the gunsmith stare at what I've sent asking, "what the hell am I supposed to do with this?"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If ordering a Bartlein, you'll be ordering a .30 caliber blank which the gunsmith will chamber and thread. I'd go with a 1-10" twist as it will shoot 175's just fine but will handle heavier bullets better than a slower twist. Heavier contours are typically better for accuracy but if go much bigger you may have to rework your stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    If ordering a Bartlein, you'll be ordering a .30 caliber blank which the gunsmith will chamber and thread. I'd go with a 1-10" twist as it will shoot 175's just fine but will handle heavier bullets better than a slower twist. Heavier contours are typically better for accuracy but if go much bigger you may have to rework your stock.
    Thank you. I can handle that. I wanted to be sure before I placed an order.