Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Striker Vs. Hammer Fire

Feedback Score

Striker Vs. Hammer Fire

Howdy,

I always gravitated towards hammer fire...1911 type semi-autos without giving much though to differences.

1911 has such an incredible fan base it's easy to get swept up in it and the aesthetics and shooting experience quite pleasing!

I've owned and own striker fires as well but of course they feel so toy like when dry firing it always translated to a "lesser" firearm option. Of course this is not true! Just my prejudices....

All that said I've been studying more to buy "one more" bug out bag firearm. I was designating my Sig P229 DA/SA for this purpose but have been reading of issues, very rare but do occur where hammer fire pistols like this or 1911's can accumulate dirt and sand and have issues when least expected. Some of the research I've done finds many "operator" types have gravitated to striker fire for just this reason.... My bug out bag won't have room for a case and will probably live in a slim kyex holster so hammer exposed....

There's always the legend about some Glock that was buried for 20 years firing without cleaning.... Obviously a dirt caked 1911 will struggle to fire without a solid field strip and C&L... I still think the 1911 platform is superior but have not abused one...ALWAYS C&L and cased....

So...are you guys choosing striker fire more often for this reason?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you like the 229 use it. I think it’ll run as bad or worse conditions than any striker fired pistol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IMO, most modern pistols of reputable manufacturers will function sufficiently. I would say, choose what you like and then train with it while developing mindset and tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    Howdy,

I always gravitated towards hammer fire...1911 type semi-autos without giving much though to differences.

1911 has such an incredible fan base it's easy to get swept up in it and the aesthetics and shooting experience quite pleasing!

I've owned and own striker fires as well but of course they feel so toy like when dry firing it always translated to a "lesser" firearm option. Of course this is not true! Just my prejudices....

All that said I've been studying more to buy "one more" bug out bag firearm. I was designating my Sig P229 DA/SA for this purpose but have been reading of issues, very rare but do occur where hammer fire pistols like this or 1911's can accumulate dirt and sand and have issues when least expected. Some of the research I've done finds many "operator" types have gravitated to striker fire for just this reason.... My bug out bag won't have room for a case and will probably live in a slim kyex holster so hammer exposed....

There's always the legend about some Glock that was buried for 20 years firing without cleaning.... Obviously a dirt caked 1911 will struggle to fire without a solid field strip and C&L... I still think the 1911 platform is superior but have not abused one...ALWAYS C&L and cased....

Thanks!
    The FBI, Navy NSW, most PDs, etc have obviously found them to be highly reliable robust systems. I'd say, stick with what you like and have most practice, experience, training with, and leave the hand wringing to the net warriors. There's pros and conds to all those choices, and it comes down to preferences, requirements, and so forth.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Striker fired guns are the future. Hammer fired guns are outdated dinosaurs. The simplicity in design, reduction of parts, ease of use, and increased capacity(compared to 1911's or single stacks) makes striker fired guns the superior choice every time. Personal biases and "feel" should never be part of a logical decision. If concealment is the concern than a single stack(preferably striker fired) may be the appropriate choice. Barring concealment needs, capacity is king.

Feedback Score
    I would put my cz P07 against any striker fired for reliability. It has been hunting, camping, utv, hiking, in the mud etc and no failures

Take it for what it is worth but MAC also has a "gauntlet" test he runs fine through. I think the 2 that did the best so far are both Da/SA. They are put in mud, sand, dirt, etc and then shot. Obviously not real world, but if sand/dirt/debris would cause issues I think it would show them

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like my Glocks, but I love my Sigs. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a trigger snob, so that for me is the main reason. That said, I've never had the first bit of trouble with either, but if I was leaving the house never to return and could only bring a single pistol, it would be a Sig.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post

Thanks!
    In the 90's the Sig classic line was the gun to have. FBI, USSS, SEALS and various other agencies ran them. I would say the LE shift to striker fired was because Glock came in so much cheaper and took over the market. The other thing most don't think of is the hours that were spent on training time and ammo just to master the DA/SA transition for the 2 rounds in 3 seconds from the holster in almost every LE qual course. Going to a striker fired gun with the same trigger pull for every shot completely eliminated the academy time spend on the DA/SA transition.

If the Sig works for you then run with it. David

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    In the 90's the Sig classic line was the gun to have. FBI, USSS, SEALS and various other agencies ran them. I would say the LE shift to striker fired was because Glock came in so much cheaper and took over the market. The other thing most don't think of is the hours that were spent on training time and ammo just to master the DA/SA transition for the 2 rounds in 3 seconds from the holster in almost every LE qual course. Going to a striker fired gun with the same trigger pull for every shot completely eliminated the academy time spend on the DA/SA transition.

If the Sig works for you then run with it. David
    If you think S&W or Beretta or HK don't offer juicy pricing for LE contracts you would be mistaken. Price always plays a factor. It isn't the only factor and far from what makes or breaks the deal(unless it's big green, then it's entirely about money). The elite units have been using Glocks for decades and price is of no concern. The fact that every other manufacturer offers a wannabe Glock tells the rest of the story.

Feedback Score
    They just work. 1911 this and that, blah blah. Striker fired guns work

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast