Howdy,

I always gravitated towards hammer fire...1911 type semi-autos without giving much though to differences.

1911 has such an incredible fan base it's easy to get swept up in it and the aesthetics and shooting experience quite pleasing!

I've owned and own striker fires as well but of course they feel so toy like when dry firing it always translated to a "lesser" firearm option. Of course this is not true! Just my prejudices....

All that said I've been studying more to buy "one more" bug out bag firearm. I was designating my Sig P229 DA/SA for this purpose but have been reading of issues, very rare but do occur where hammer fire pistols like this or 1911's can accumulate dirt and sand and have issues when least expected. Some of the research I've done finds many "operator" types have gravitated to striker fire for just this reason.... My bug out bag won't have room for a case and will probably live in a slim kyex holster so hammer exposed....

There's always the legend about some Glock that was buried for 20 years firing without cleaning.... Obviously a dirt caked 1911 will struggle to fire without a solid field strip and C&L... I still think the 1911 platform is superior but have not abused one...ALWAYS C&L and cased....

So...are you guys choosing striker fire more often for this reason?

Thanks!