Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Striker Vs. Hammer Fire

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post

Take a VP9 or PPQ for instance, just as reliable, ergos - infinitely better, sights- pretty decent - especially the LE models (night sights), trigger - not even worth comparing, optics ready (VP9). Negatives - price - not that much though, aftermarket support, more complicated.

So if aftermarket support, a Glock grip angle, simplicity, and price is your thing - Glock should be your choice. Other than that, it has nothing else going for it in the grand scheme of things.
    While not "hammer vs striker", this would be a good example of how people assign different weight to different aspects: I don't like VP9 trigger design and, in general, prefer DA-like striker triggers for carry guns, I don't like PPQ ergos, and if a manufacturer doesn't offer slimline options like 43/43x/48/365/365XL, I don't consider their product line for carry choices.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    SIG never beat Glock in performance metrics. The phase were both participated, Glock outperformed SIG. Official line for SIG selection was modularity or something.

As a mass issued pistol, Glock indeed so far has the best ratio of positives to negatives.

Going forward, SIG is positioned to kick Glocks ass. Six years after release, it is already disrupting Glock's 40 years long dominance. As 320 matures more and people forget about SIG's ethics, or lack thereof, Glock's refusing to introduce any meaningful innovation while SIG pushing the envelope will have an effect. Personally, if I was starting now, in 2021, I would've likely gone SIG but I am too invested in Glocks.

On a level of a personally owned pistol, the Glock uber alles argument is retarded. People assign different weight to different attributes and may not care what other aspects there. IDGF by what means the primer is ignited in my guns, hammer vs striker doesn't factor into decision making.
    I could see this happening. I owned a couple of 320's for a while. They have some pros and cons when compared to glocks. The Wilson combat grip module on the 320 turns it into a whole new gun imho.

I don't really regret selling my 320s though. If I get another in the future it will probably be an m18

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score
    For gosh sakes, just shoot what works best for you. Deal?

Having gone from revolvers to DA/SA hammers to strikers over the years, I have a mix of all three now. I can shoot all three very well. I can still keep up with the striker crowd at the range using my DA/SA. I almost can with my wheel gun until we consider reloading. Edited: If I had to pick ONE to run out the door with for good, I would take a DA/SA hammer. That is what works best for ME.

This sub-forum is nothing more than a Glock fanboy masturbation fest now days. Jeez...
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 01-08-21 at 15:06.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    I learned trigger control by constantly dry-firing on DA triggers.

For the past 10 years, I've shot a lot of striker fired, but now learning to appreciate a DA trigger , especially with a de-cocker. I do enjoy being able to tap the rear of a slide on a striker gun to push it into battery.

I definitely think a SA/DA trigger system should still be taught, despite the higher learning curve.

If we remove the "harder than normal primer" ammo factor, the argument for the easier learning curve of a striker fire system still stands (sans a manual thumb safety like a M17 or a M&P).

If you have students who are willing to master both platforms, that is ideal, but not all students will or can.

Feedback Score
    Correct me if you think I'm wrong or misinformed but striker fired vs hammer fired has joined the table with the rest of the will-never-be-an-end-to-them arguments along with Ford vs Chevy, 9mm vs 45acp, fixed blade vs mechanical BH's etc.

I have owned both hammer fired and striker fired semiautomatic HGs since the late 1980's and although I've no LEO or combat experience and I can not honestly say how many 1000's of rounds of both my reloads and factory ammo combined 45acp, 40S&W and 9mm I have fired from my guns but based on bullet purchases alone it's been at least 5k through my 45's, 2k 40S&W and 6k+ and counting 9mm's and the only HG I ever had any issue with was a hammer fired S&W 745 I later traded in on two striker fired HGs one in 40 S&W and one in 45acp.

Still I will not say which is the better more reliable HG type as I don't possess the knowledge or experience to make that determination
    But I will say my three P320's and two S&W M&P's and one XD 45acp have been absolutely reliable and I would trust the lives of my family and myself to them.

Ohonestly have never read or seen any data anywhere that proved conclusively which is clearly the superior design striker or hammer fired if such data exists please someone by all means share it here for all our enlightenment

I've no doubt in MY mind based on MY experience that if I were about to go into combat tomorrow and could choose any factory stock semiautomatic HG I grab a 9mm 4.7" P320.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMTJAGER View Post
    Correct me if you think I'm wrong or misinformed but striker fired vs hammer fired has joined the table with the rest of the will-never-be-an-end-to-them arguments along with Ford vs Chevy, 9mm vs 45acp, fixed blade vs mechanical BH's etc.

I have owned both hammer fired and striker fired semiautomatic HGs since the late 1980's and although I've no LEO or combat experience and I can not honestly say how many 1000's of rounds of both my reloads and factory ammo combined 45acp, 40S&W and 9mm I have fired from my guns but based on bullet purchases alone it's been at least 5k through my 45's, 2k 40S&W and 6k+ and counting 9mm's and the only HG I ever had any issue with was a hammer fired S&W 745 I later traded in on two striker fired HGs one in 40 S&W and one in 45acp.

Still I will not say which is the better more reliable HG type as I don't possess the knowledge or experience to make that determination
    But I will say my three P320's and two S&W M&P's and one XD 45acp have been absolutely reliable and I would trust the lives of my family and myself to them.

Ohonestly have never read or seen any data anywhere that proved conclusively which is clearly the superior design striker or hammer fired if such data exists please someone by all means share it here for all our enlightenment

I've no doubt in MY mind based on MY experience that if I were about to go into combat tomorrow and could choose any factory stock semiautomatic HG I grab a 9mm 4.7" P320.
    Mechanically speaking it makes no difference, hammer vs striker. Striker fired guns have fewer parts, at least Glocks do(fewest parts of any modern quality auto)and I'm sure many others do as well. Which logically leads to less to go wrong/fail. From there we have the issue of firing system. DAO guns with no mechanical safety are the easiest and fastest way to put lead on target. They're also the safest system. SAO guns require a mechanical safety which adds steps to your manual of arms. DA/SA are more complex than is necessary to achieve success. Learning two trigger pulls is time well wasted in this day. They also require a decocker which again adds steps to your manual of arms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All SF people are liars and drunkards. If they're not, it doesn't take long after acquiring the SF habit that they are.

The time it takes to learn how to shoot a real gun is what keeps DA/SA folks straight.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes.....so.....? How's it taste?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Yes.....so.....? How's it taste?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Probably like powdercoat. My post was just a distraction. There is no point.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast