Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Striker Vs. Hammer Fire

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get an HK USP compact....very reliable, weight is not a problem either as they are a bit lighter than the P229

Glock is very available out there and pretty much easy to work on if you run into a problem or need parts... I believe in having options so I have both hammer and striker fired guns

A lot of the shift from hammer fired to striker fired was cost..

I love my Sig P229s... I tend to carry a Glock most of the time, due to weight and if involved in a SD situation...it is cheap to replace for me.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    Howdy,

I always gravitated towards hammer fire...1911 type semi-autos without giving much though to differences.

1911 has such an incredible fan base it's easy to get swept up in it and the aesthetics and shooting experience quite pleasing!

I've owned and own striker fires as well but of course they feel so toy like when dry firing it always translated to a "lesser" firearm option. Of course this is not true! Just my prejudices....

All that said I've been studying more to buy "one more" bug out bag firearm. I was designating my Sig P229 DA/SA for this purpose but have been reading of issues, very rare but do occur where hammer fire pistols like this or 1911's can accumulate dirt and sand and have issues when least expected. Some of the research I've done finds many "operator" types have gravitated to striker fire for just this reason.... My bug out bag won't have room for a case and will probably live in a slim kyex holster so hammer exposed....

There's always the legend about some Glock that was buried for 20 years firing without cleaning.... Obviously a dirt caked 1911 will struggle to fire without a solid field strip and C&L... I still think the 1911 platform is superior but have not abused one...ALWAYS C&L and cased....

So...are you guys choosing striker fire more often for this reason?

Thanks!
    If it's inside a bug out bag, it shouldn't get dirty enough to matter. Hell, put the holstered pistol in a zip lock bag first if that is a worry.

I chose a Glock because they are:
    Ubiquitous
    Light
    Relatively affordable
    Simple to work on
    Easy to find parts, magazines, and holsters for

They are as reliable a design as any, but the Beretta 92, CZ-75, Sig P226 are all know to be reliable pistols.

I am sure the newer striker fired guns are as reliable and durable as the Glock, but every gun store has (or had) Glock mags and accessories.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-14-20 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    If it's inside a bug out bag, it shouldn't get dirty enough to matter. Hell, put the holstered pistol in a zip lock bag first if that is a worry.

I chose a Glock because they are:
    Ubiquitous
    Light
    Relatively affordable
    Simple to work on
    Easy to find parts, magazines, and holsters for

They are as reliable a design as any, but the Beretta 92, CZ-75, Sig P226 are all know to be reliable pistols.

Andy
    I would never put a firearm inside a ziplock bag without wrapping it first in a rust inhibitor and enclosing some kind of moisture absorption media. I inherited a couple of firearms that had been wrapped in plastic and they both had serious rusting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    I would never put a firearm inside a ziplock bag without wrapping it first in a rust inhibitor and enclosing some kind of moisture absorption media. I inherited a couple of firearms that had been wrapped in plastic and they both had serious rusting.

That's a good point. How about "put it inside one of the spare socks you should have in a bug out bag"?

Andy

Feedback Score
    I started with 1911 and Hi Powers. Carried a Hi Power as an issued pistol for years, had very little issues with it.

Then carried a Glock as an issued weapon, had very little issues with it.

Then was turned onto CZ P09/07, have maybe 20k rounds through them and so far zero issues and a lot of dry firing.

I still have my Glocks, and don't see the need to get rid of them. But CZ hammer fired pistols all the way!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post

Vacuum seal with dry/dry packets, no way there would be "No" corrosion. Been doing it for rears.
    Last edited by robbins290; 12-14-20 at 11:11. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    That's a good point. How about "put it inside one of the spare socks you should have in a bug out bag"?

Andy
    I like that!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Just the other day, a friend of mine asked me if you had to choose just one, "either My Legion 226rx or Stacatto P Duo. HKP30 would fit the bill too".
    All hammer fires, but I have no issue with Strikers. I believe they can be just as reliable.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The only place dirt or can accumulate in hammer fired gun that can’t on a striker is the recess on the back of the slide where the hammer hits the firing pin.

I can say with certainty that a P Series Sig has near unsurpassed reliability and anything that does get lucky and beat it, probably won’t be a Glock.

*The only semi-autos I own are Glocks.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Small point. I have noticed, consistently, that ammo with hard primers that stop a Glock will usually run in my hammer fired guns, be it Berettas, CZs, etc. I recently found some RWS that would choke down my G30s that would run in my HK USP 45. I think it just comes down to hammers have a bit more energy.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast